Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

I am running Mac OSX 10.7.5 My computer blinks and resets the

I am running Mac OSX 10.7.5 My computer blinks and resets the active window every 10 seconds and repeats this cycle consistently. I created a new user and it stopped. Can you advise?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

Sounds like you have some corruption in the OS.

What I advise, is for you to shut down the mac.

Start it using command R, and do a recovery install.. ( do not do an erase and install, just a recovery install)

This will reinstall lion, without wiping out your programs and files.. Basically, its a repair install.

Heres further info on how to do it..

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

The recovery install, will resolve the issue your facing.. ( im surprised the Apple people didnt attempt it )

if you get stuck, or run into any issues, let me know!

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am restoring OSX now. It says 7 hours remaining. Will email results tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I restored OSX and still have the blinking on the active screen.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the delay in getting back to you Roger.

After running a recovery, theres one more step we need to do on your active profile..

To open Disk Utility, from the Applications folder, open Utilities, and then double-click the Disk Utility icon.

In the column on the left, click your startup disk.

Click the First Aid tab, and then click Repair Disk Permissions. Disk Utility will reset any files and folders with incorrect settings.

Once that has completed.. Id like you to try and shut down the mac.. And then start up in safe mode, choosing your original profile that had the blinking window issue..

Do you still get the same results in safe mode?

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dustin,

I followed your instructions and am running in safe mode, the blinking has stopped.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ahh.. Thats a good sign.. That means, this is something that can be fixed.

But to clarify before I get ahead of my self.. You are running in safe mode, and you are in the original user account / profile.. That had the blinking issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, I followed the safe mode start-up instructions and logged in as original user that has been blinking.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Excellent..

This blinking issue.. Can you shed more light on it..

Is it only when you use safari, or webpages that its happening.. Is it only when you use mac mail, or a specific program.

is it only the program window thats blinking, is your actual whole display and monitor blinking?

Do you use more then one monitor, or an external monitor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

example: if I have 3 windows on at the same time (mail, a Word file and internet) as I click from one window to the other, only the active window blinks, not the whole screen. If I open the Help Window and search a subject the window will close before I get the subject typed in. Any pull downs from Menu Bar will only last 10 seconds, so if I cannot make up my mind on the selection within 10 seconds, the pulldown closes.

I only have the one monitor (Desktop iMac)

This only happens with my user login. The Apple Genius created a second user and the system works perfect

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
What I would do on your user login..

Lets definitely reset your finder preferences..

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/finder.html

Once thats done.. ( and this should take care of the help bar or menu bar closing in ten seconds.. )

We may need to go through your system preferences, and restore many of them to defaults.. But id like to start with the one above.. And see if t hat helps with th drop down menu issue.. If not, then we will try another step to deal with that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am struggling to find the Library Preferences Folder as described in the first option of XLAB, any suggestions. I have opened the finder window but cannot navigate to "Home"

Any suggestions?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
The issue is probaly, that your Lion OS is set to hide that folder.

Heres how to display it

Show User ~/Library in OS X Lion & Mountain Lion

Launch Terminal from Spotlight or Launchpad -> Utilities, and enter the following command to show or hide the directory:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

The users Library folder will immediately become visible again.

Once thats done.. You should be able to view the mac hd folder referred to in the Xlab link.

let me know if you run into further issues.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I type that wavy line in the script? I only have the abbreviated

wireless keyboard

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
If your keyboard doesnt have the tilde sign, to the left of the number 1 key above the keyboard..

Then you can copy and paste that line of script, instead of typing it..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Got it done. No change on menu or active window

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, did the command we entered in, fix this issue?

""" If I open the Help Window and search a subject the window will close before I get the subject typed in""
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, it stays open for 5-6 seconds then closes

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Just to be safe.. Could you try downloading the free version of Sophos antivirus for mac.

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-edition.aspx

Could you download, and install that.. And run it.. and let me know if it finds anything on your system.

Thanks,

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ran a compete scan = no threats by Sophos

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back to me Roger, and Ive just now returned to my computer after a internet failure on my end..

Glad to hear Sophos found nothing.. Was just trying to make sure as some of the issues you were having were reminiscent to a couple of the recent mac viruses that had been going around.

What may be easiest to resolve this issue.. Though definitely not the only means.

Would be to copy all your data ( documents, music, etc ) onto the Users/shared folder.

That way that it would then be accessible in the working profile.. and then once everything was copied over.. You could delete the original and faulted profile.

barring that.. It may be easier in some ways.. To use time machine.. Backup your main user and all its data , then delete the user.

Then , readd the user.. ( verify its working.)

And then import your backup.. That way, it clears out the damaged files that were causing your user to malfunction.

To do this, it would be prefereble if you had an external hard drive.. Do you have one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have the files backed-up on an external hard drive. My question is

before I delete the corrupted user do I Save the home folder in a disk image, Don't change the home folder, or Delete the home folder depending on how or whether you want to save the user's data?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

To ensure that you dont lose any programs if something should go wrong.. I would back it up to a disk image.. ( no harm in having extra backups )

Once that is done. ( home folder deleted and backed up to a disk image )

We will want to restart the mac and sign into the other working account.

The, run a permissions repair. And then once that completes, Recreate the old user, using the same username and make it an admin account.

Once its recreated, lets switch users to the ( recreated ) original user account.

At this point.. We shouldnt be having any of the screen flickering issues.. Its at this point that we can restore from the backups you made to the external hard drive.. ( not the disk image itself though, just the files you backed up )

If all goes as it should, you should have your original user back, with its original files, But in a working condition.. ( since its actually a new user, with the same name as the old user and the same files )

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just about done. After restore files I cannot get calendar link between my desktop and laptop/smartphone to connect with each other. Everything else is ok

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
I should be able to help you fix that..

The calendar link your using.. Is it google calendar, Ical... What calendar and sync software are you using currently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

A local computer service came to my house a month or so ago and linked up my smart phone, laptop and desk computer so that I could see scheduled activities on any of the devices. I have accounts on the computers for iCal on Yahoo mail, calendar and email and Google.calendar simply for the calendar app. Currently when I create an event on my smartphone it shows on my ical on laptop and desk model. but when I enter an ical activity on my laptop calendar or desk model it stays on individual calendar and does not link.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Roger..

Im still going to need to try and narrow down a bit further how exactly your linked. ( so that I can help you fix the link so that it pushes your calendar updates, to the phone )

Your smartphone.. Is it an Iphone, or an Android, or a blackberry?

If its an android or blackberry, what model is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Android Samsung Galaxy SIII

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. And one more question.. Very important..

Is your calendar being shared through google, or your gmail account, or a google calendar account.. ( on the phone )

When you enter events into the phones calendar, how are you doing so?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

0n the @Mail, Contacts & Calendars window the left column icon shows M Google Calendars and the right side shows calendar checked and

XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

On my phone I pull up calendar app and push + and Add Event.

the calendar address on the add event display showsXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry.. When you say the calendar address shows XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

I cant see it.. ( the system blocks it out )

Can you type in just the part that comes after the @ sign ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

try this

walters.roger.calendar at gmail.com

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Aha..

Ok.. Question.. On your laptop, and your dekstop.

When your updating the calendar.. Are you signed into gmail when your updating the calendar?

As long as your signed into gmail itself, than any changes you make should be reflected on all three deviceds.

To be certain though.. On your apple computers.. Please do the following for that same walters.roger.calendar at gmail account.

1. Open Apple iCal
  2. In the toolbar, click Calendar, then Preferences
  3. Click the Accounts tab
  4. In the accounts pane on the left, click the + button to add an account
  5. Enter the following information:
  • Account Type: Google
  • Email Address: Enter the email address that you use to log in to Calendar. Make sure to include the '@domain.com' portion (which is @gmail.com for Gmail users) in this section.
  • Password: Enter the password XXXXX the email address you listed above.

Once thats done.. Changes made on one device, should effect all devices..

Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, all done. Thank you for all the help. No more blinking.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hello Roger,

This is Dustin from JustAnswer.

Id like to build on the success we had together, and wanted to offer further assistance to you. If there is any other issues you have been having with your mac or devices, any type of software you were wanting to set up or install.. I would love to assist you. Also, if you dont have a disaster recovery ( data backup ) system in place for your email, contacts, or calendar data. I would be more then willing to help you set that up.

I hope your week is off to a great start!

Dustin S.