James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert
24111805

Can you please provide step by step instructions on how to

Customer Question

Can you please provide step by step instructions on how to install the iOS 7 beta one to a device using a Windows PC instead of a Mac.
Category: Mac
Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
Hi, to use a PC, please:

1. Obtain the IOS IPSW file from the developers site.
2. Connect the iphone to the PC.
3. Run iTunes.
4. In iTunes, click the iphone. Hold down the SHIFT key, and click the RESTORE button in iTunes.
5. Select the IPSW file, and restore IOS7 onto the device.

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So when you open the dmg file on your windows machine, it will reveal the ipsw file? then you move the ipsw to your desktop so you can open it with SHIFT- RESTORE?

Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.

When you download the file from the Developer site, it will be an IPSW file, and you will be able to restore it directly. It will not be a DMG file.

You can then use shift-restore immediately.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The developer site only has a dmg file - are you saying when you download it on a windows machine it automatically turns into an ipsw file?

Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
That's right - the file is downloaded and can be restored to the phone via iTunes.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I just confirmed with my employee, when he downloaded it, it was dmg, not ipsw and itunes would not recognize the dmg file when doing shift restore-- does he have to extract the dmg file somehow?

Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
No - it sounds like he downloaded the wrong file.
The file he downloads is supposed to be an IPSW file, which iTunes can restore to the phone.

Here is a direct link to get the file:

https://developer.apple.com/ios7/

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No he did download the right file, apple does not post ipsw files on their dev site - what source on the web do you have to support what you are saying?

Please open this up to other experts if you are not familiar with how this works, thanks

Expert:  James replied 3 years ago.
I am certain I'm correct, as I'm a developer myself. I also double checked this.

Here is one site that explains it, just as an example. There are others.
This site also has alternate links in case you have an issue with the Apple site:

http://geeksays.com/download-ios-7-betas/

Many thanks,

James.