Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

I have several virus that I have to remove manually....can

Customer Question

I have several virus that I have to remove manually....can u help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

what version of Mac osx do you have? 10.6 10.7 10.8 ?

And also, what are the visible signs and symptoms your seeing, that show that you have a virus?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.8

when I run MacKeeper it says to remove these manually

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
MacKeeper itself, has been known to cause system stability issues..

What i would like to do is first, have a look at this for verification

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3036

Then, lets uninstall mac keeper as follows.

http://applehelpwriter.com/2011/09/21/how-to-uninstall-mackeeper-malware/

Once its removed.. run this procedure next

To open Disk Utility, from the Applications folder, open Utilities, and then double-click the Disk Utility icon.

In the column on the left, click your startup disk.

Click the First Aid tab, and then click Repair Disk Permissions. Disk Utility will reset any files and folders with incorrect settings.

Then restart your mac.. And if its still acting strange, or giving any error messages, please let me know specifically what they are so that we can deal with them individually.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see no start up disk in column on left....what next?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Do you see something that says Mac HD ?

That will be your startup disk.. Let me know if thats visible, and if not..

What do you see on the column to the left?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had to restart the comp holding down command and R key until apple logo appeared. when OSX util appeared I chose disk utility... there was an incorrect no of file hard links...37 instead of 36...Finally after SEVERAL minutes the volume was verified.

However I could not sign on with google chrome after trying for 5 -6 minutes..Now signed on with Safari...It takes so long to sign on

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Did you do verify and repair the hard disk?

Or.. did you click the hard disk and click repair permissions ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

verify and repair hard disc

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Thats a good step. But the step I wanted to focus on was to repair permissions...

It may be best, XXXXX XXXXX least quicker, if you and I connect during a screen sharing session, where I can perform some repairs myself, and see what is wromg with chrome as well.

Would you like to try a screen sharing session?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok, lets try to get connected.

Click the link below

http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=53494cf9-1cf6-4f35-bd17-8faf6988bc01&SUPPORT=JAVAW

accept the terms.. Then download and then install the software.

Once installed and your at the joining screen, send a message to me. ( or if you get stuck, please send a message as well within 5 minutes..)

Dustin S
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried both options and cannot connect...

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Did you say any warning that said something to the tune of..

Cant run programs that arent verified by mac or apple application store?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did not see anything like that

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok..

Are you using safari to try and connect to that link..

Or chrome, of firefox?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

using safari

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
If you have firefox.. Please try to connect using firefox instead...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try firefox, but I could not connect to chrome at all... will try firefox

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

on firefox now

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Will be standing by.. Make sure that we redownload t he connection through firefox, as discussed below

Click the link below

Dustin S
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cannot open due to unidentified developer.... both options said same

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Aha.. Thats the message I was talking about..

We need to go into your system preferences and allow applications to be downloaded and installed from anywhere.

Heres how to do so

http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/27/app-cant-be-opened-because-it-is-from-an-unidentified-developer/

Let me know if you run into any issues.. And if your able to set this, then we should then be able to download and then connect through firefox..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I d/l it ...

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Did you set it to allow all applications, and then apply the change.

If so.. did you try these steps again from firefox

Click the link below

If you tried those steps, did we get the unrecognized developer message again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got the same unrecognized message again....what am I doing wrong?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
It may be that your mac simply doesnt like that file.. Lets try a different one.

Please go here

https://join.me/

Click in oroange to try and create a session... If you can create the session, send me the connection code you get , generally about 7 -9 numbers..

If you get the same unrecognized message, let me know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do I have to buy this site join me?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
No, you can use the free version, it works well enough to get connected..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am in,,,361-845-814

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

I tried connecting, says Im waiting on you..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have been in that room for several minutes.... cannot connect with you..

This is frustrating...

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
I understand the frustration..

Must be something with your mac, that isnt allowing us to connect..

Would you like to try and continue today.. Or take a breather, and come back to this tommorow?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if we can.... but it will have to be in the afternoon,,,would 3PM work for you? I am working in the morning..

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Im on east coast time, not sure what time zone your in..

But anytime between 11 am and 11 pm works for me tommorow.. If were both in the States, then you should have a large window of time after 3 in which I will be online..

If your overseas though, please let me know what time zone your in, and I can try to be there around 3pm your time..

D.S
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am in Florida, which is also east coast time...

Will chat tomorrow in the hopes of clearing this up..

goodnight

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Perfect.

See you tommorow..

Dustin S.

( not tyring to spam message you, but its company policy that I always send the last reply of each conversation)

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, This is Dustin from Just Answer..

Just wanted to touch base with you to let you know that I am online, and will be online for the next 10 hours or so, in case you have time to continue today.

Thanks,

D.S
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am online and we can continue.. I am already on Firefox

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Excellent.

Lets try one more time, to use the Join.me connection.

Remember, you are creating a connection for me to join.. ( your not joining a connection)

Please try to create a new connection with firefox.. and once created on your end, please send me the code so I can try to connect..

( if this takes more then a few tries for us to connect, we will seek alternatives )

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

+1.XXX-XXX-XXXX

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
My apologies.. But when you type the number out that way, the system blanks it out.

The system sees it as a telephone number and blocks it..

can you send the number again, but break it up on several lines such as

219

234

876

Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that didn't work either... I tried that originally... but it won't accept the one time code...

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
You sent me a number in the previous reply... But the number was xxxxxxxxxxxx

Can you clarify.. Were you able to create the connection? And if so..

Plesse send me that same connection code again in a reply, except when you type the reply in, just space out the numbers , like 111 444 897

Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was unable to create the connection... the number I sent you is the code they sent me....it was +1.XXX-XXX-XXXX.

No matter how I enter it, it doesn't work...

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood.. Ok.. It appears we arent going to be able to connect .. yet..

Lets proceed with some more repair procedures.

Lets try to restart the mac in safe mode.. And see how it behaves.

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

Once started up in safe mode.

Lets uninstall chrome.

Go to your library, user folder, applications.

Find google chrome.. And then drag the icon to the trash..

Then, use safari or firefox and download chrome again and install it.

After the install, does chrome work better?

And also generally speaking, how is the computer behaving in safe mode?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try using Safari,,,,,,,Firefox does not work.....

computer is working somewhat better, but still slower than it was....

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood.. It still needs to be repaired..

Lets uninstall both firefox, and chrome..

And then reinstall firefox.. and see if firefox is working.. If its not working..

Lets definitely complete the permissions repair step that we missed before.

That photo, should help you to perform the repair disk permissions this time, instead of the repair disk..

You can get to the disk utility through your applications folder

1. Launch Disk Utility, located at /Applications/Utilities/.

2. Select the ‘First Aid’ tab.

3. In the left-hand pane, select a volume you wish to run Repair Permissions on. (Remember, the volume must contain a bootable copy of OS X.

4. Click the ‘Repair Disk Permissions’ button.

Once that completes.. ( there will be a small progress bar on that page, and it may take it some time to complete)

Once it completes... We can try further repairs..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have to leave now to pick up my daughter.... will continue in half to one hour if OK with you..

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thats perfectly fine.

I will be online till late this evening.. Drive safe!

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

join me 944 503 887

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
We are connected, and speaking in live chat.

Unless our connection drops, our conversation will continue there instead of here.

D.S
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hello, This is Dustin again from JustAnswer.

We were able to complete some repairs in the screen sharing session.. And then decided that we would reconnect, after you restarted the mac..

Just wanted to check on you and see if everything went well after the restart.. ( as our join.me connection is closed until we make another one, since we restarted the mac )

D.S
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dustin, several issues,.

takes forever to start up

I lost I-Photos.....all pics gone

start up menu brings up Word...

comp VERY slow

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood.. To be certain.. You started up in the same account? ( you dont have two user accounts? )

Lets go ahead and shut down.. And then start up in safe mode.. And tell me if its still slow, if the startup menu still brings up word.. ( and as far as your pictures, I assure you they are not gone.. We just need to rebuild the Iphoto library )

This will get us in safe mode

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  2. Press the power button.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear)

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am in safe mode now.... worked fast to get there too...

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Excellent.. That its working in safe mode means that.. The mac itself isnt damaged..

Its just the file system and some of the software thats still corrupted.

Id like to try something if you dont mind.

Lets create a new admin account on your mac, and then log into it in normal mode, and see if it works correctly.

Heres a video showing how

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g7JnBqlj8A

And here are the written steps

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph4600

( note ** dont delete your current account , as we still want the files it has on it , just create a new admin account, and then shut down the mac and log into the new account.. And let me know what issues the new account has, if any )

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

going to log onto new acct now....brb

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Excellent, will be standing..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was able to create a new act, but was unable to open any of the icons on the dashboard.... In fact it was a frozen screen... I had to force close to exit.....

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood..

At this point, given that the new account was faulted.. And after the repairs we did, the situation is still detrioating..

The best advice I can give is to do a full, archive and install.. ( this will backup all your files and data, so that you dont lose it)

The page below, covers the arhive and install procedure.

https://it.uoregon.edu/Archive-Install-10.7-10.8

This is going to be your best bet, and surest bet, to return your system to a normal functioning state, without losing data.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did exactly what you said and comp working much better....

BUT still no pics.....lost Iphoto

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Excellent, then we are close to finishing this project!!

The pics should still be in there.. And if we did an archive and install..

Iphoto should still be available..

If you go to your library / applications.. Do you see the iphoto icon listed in there?

If you do, click the iphoto icon and try to start the program.. Will it start?