Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

I attempted to turn on my mac desktop and all that appeared

Customer Question

I attempted to turn on my mac desktop and all that appeared was a blank white screen with a blinking file folder with a question mark in the middle and nothing e;se and no response to any key or to a manual restart
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name is Dustin, And I am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

Im sorry to say, but your hard drive may have failed.. It could be repairable though.

To see if we can repair it, your going to need a mac install disk, one that matches the version of OS you have on your mac. For instance, if you have Lion, you will need a lion install disk.

Then, we can boot from the disk, go into disk utilities, and then we need to run a repair on your hard disk.. ( you can skip the verify option, as we already know the hard drive is damaged )

Hopefully, that will do the trick and get your hard drive stable enough to boot again.. If it does, I strongly suggest immediately saving and backing up any important pictures or data you have, onto a different hard drive or computer.

If you have any questions, let me know.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin