Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

ive saved a document in key note and now it wont let me open

Customer Question

ive saved a document in key note and now it wont let me open it saying file corrupt? can you please help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Maybe we can and maybe we can't but try we will.

Please tell me what version of OS X you are using.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Also the version of Keynote you have.

Was this file saved to an external hard drive?

Do you backup your data?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

mac os x version 10.5.8 its in with my downloads under kelly.optional q i can see it i just cant open it, says file corrupt or not in the right format. whenever i have done work on keynote i save it as the screen comes up save, save as and cancel. i always saved it but tonight i clicked save and couldnt re open it. i dont know the version of key note sorry

thanks

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
To find out the version of most applications simply click on the application name and select 'About (app)' and it will tell you, much the same as 'About this Mac' does.

The file name is kelly.optional q?
Why is it in Downloads? That is not a good place to save anything but downloads.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

key note 09 i had to open the formatt from my qcf asesser which then downloaded the template for me? theres another one its kelly optional Q-2 i have only just got this laptop and dont really have a clue how to use it

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
So this file is one that was sent to you and you wish to open it, correct?

This laptop has an older OS X on it that is close to obsolete, not quite but close.

Sounds like you are new to Macs, correct? If so I can send you things that will make the transition easier.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

only the template was sent to me, i downloaded it. all was fine been on it last two days getting work done was saved every other time, im soo confused sorry about this, just it needs to be in weds morn and i cant acsess it. plz do send me somethings ? will i be able to retrive contents?

thankyou.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
There are a few things to try.
First to repair permissions, this PDF explains that.

Repairing Permissions

Next is a pram reset, this will hurt nothing and can help lots.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys all together at the same time.

‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P' all together at the same time.

Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.

The sound should also get louder.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

The problem is that once a file is corrupted it is like moldy bread, moldy.

Sometimes permissions will fix it, rebuilding a directory can fix it (but to do that requires tools you do not have like Disk Warrior ($100)).

Trying a different app to open it might help, might not.

A lot depends on the damage. Try the two above and see if it helps and let me know please.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Why the negative rating? All I did was tell you the truth about the file.
I cannot help it being beyond recovering.
That is like trying to start a car that has no engine and blaming the person that told you it did not have one.

Kelly, I cannot fix a corrupted file that has no backup of the uncorrupted.