Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

I need help to get my itunes play list back on my itunes.

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 1 year ago.

Could you please explain your issue?

Did you mean you want to transfer playlists from the ipod onto your computer?

Thank you
Vinod
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, transfer playlist from ipod onto my computer.

I have a PC not a MAC

What ipod is it? ipod nano/touch/classic?

Also, is that playlist created from the ipod itself or transferred from some other computer?

Also, are those songs in the playlist bought from the itunes store?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have an ipod classic

The play list was created on itunes and sync to ipod.

Some songs were bought from itunes store, some I downloaded from CDs

Thank You, Jane.

Unfortunately, there is no direct way to transfer a playlist from the ipod to the computer/itunes. The songs from the itunes store can be directly transferred, but not the other ones.

So you would need a third party software to transfer the playlists from the ipod to the computer.

Try this software

http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/index.php

Download the free trial version first and see whether it can do the job.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you find any difficulty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One site suggested turning of the "compatibility" mode in the itunes folder - I can not find it.

It will not help you in transferring the playlists. Compatibility mode troubleshooting is done for itunes specific issues - such as itunes not opening, ipod not showing up in itunes etc.

Since your issue is transferring the playlists on to the computer, you need a third party software.

Have you tried the trial version of the software I send you in the last message?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try it now.

Ok. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I bought the recommended software - it still won't transfer ipod to itunes

Connect the ipod to the computer.

When you open that software, is it not showing up the ipod?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The ipod just says "do not disconnect".

The itunes library and play list are shown on the screen - but when I tell it to transfer from ipod to itunes it won't do it.

I tried the demo version but it would download only 100 tunes. I had to buy the program (Touch Copy 12) to download all of the tunes.

I bought it, then it still would not download.

When you disconnect the ipod from the computer, does it still show "do not disconnect"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Then the ipod could be frozen.

Let's soft reset the ipod first. Disconnect the ipod from the computer. Now on the ipod, press and hold the menu button and the center button together until you see an apple logo.

Once it is back to the home screen, connect it back to the computer, and try to transfer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It said "Touch Copy not responding" Failed to start itunes.

were you able to open itunes earlier?

Also, is your ipod still showing the "do not disconnect" after doing the reset?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The ipod showed the content OK.

But when I tried to transfer it said do not disconnect. And is still doing it.

It will show do not disconnect when it is syncing with the computer.

Close Touch copy and itunes, if they are already open. Now connect the ipod to the computer. Now, on the ipod, press and hold the power button and the home button together until you see an apple logo.

Now open touch copy and try to transfer the songs.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The same thing happened. I tried to copy just one of the playlist instead of the entire play list.

My itunes on the computer has almost all to my music, but not my playlist.That's what I need

There is a possibility that your itunes could be having the playlists, but hidden from you.

Have you clicked on the "playlists" button in itunes and checked whether your playlists are there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now I see a few of my playlist - but it won't show any songs. Nothing shows up under music.

and itunes is stalled - won't do anything.

Let's close and reopen itunes. Now check whether the playlists are there.

If the playlists are not there, let's try this.

Open touch copy and try to transfer the playlists onto the computer (not to the itunes). There should be an option for that.

Let me know whether you are able to transfer the playlists into the computer.

If you are able to, we can transfer them into itunes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I opened itunes again and now it's working with a few of the playlist.

I will try and copy one of the playlist at a time.

I will keep you posted.

:)

Ok. let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried copying only a few play list at a time - still didn't copy any more.

I tried to start new play list and it won't let me do that.

I may have to give up.

sorry to hear that, Jane..:(

Are you not able to transfer to the computer either (instead of transferring to itunes)?

Also, what happens when you try to create a new playlist? Any error message?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not tried to transfer to the computer. I'll try that

The only error message I receive is "Touch Copy not responding" and "Fail to start itunes"

I'll try to get them on the computer..... stay tuned

When you open Touch copy and try to transfer, you should be having an option to transfer to computer along with transfer to itunes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It still thinks I'm running a demo copy - but I paid for the complete software.

I tried to copy to computer - it lead me to the itunes folder.

I'll see if it lets me copy to something else.

It would take you to itunes folder, which could be the default folder that opens up. You can change to any folder in the computer and save it there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It keeps telling me to purchase a copy of Touch copy - I did that. My credit card company just called to verify the purchase.... I'll try again.

Maybe they were waiting to verification.

Stay tuned

Don't buy it again as you have already done that once.

Just wait for some hours and see whether it shows as a purchased copy.

If not, you would need to contact wideanglesoftware.

http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/contact/

Here is the process of transferring the playlists into itunes once you have them on the computer.

When you transfer playlists to the computer, it will create an XML file. Open itunes. There will be a small box to the top left corner of the itunes, followed by a downward pointing arrow. Click on that arrow and select "view menu bar".

Now click on the File menu, select "Library" > import playlist and select the XML file in your computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Finally. I have downloaded all the playlist to a folder on the desk top.

I still don't see a "file" option on itunes to move the folder to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Sorry for the delay, Jane.

It was too late here when you replied (almost 2AM) when you replied and I had gone offline.

There is a small box to the top left corner of iTunes, followed by a downward pointing arrow. Click on that arrow and select "view menu bar".

Now you will see the file menu. Click on file - library- import playlist and select the xml files that you saved into the computer.

Let me know

Thank you
Vinod
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Computer crashed. A friend is accessing my e-mail remotely and answering for me.

Inconclusive at this time.

Sorry to hear that...:(

Take your own time and reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Computer is now with local geek who built it. All for now.

I understand...

You can reply to me whenever you have the computer back. Or if you want to transfer the playlists to a different computer, let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The program you suggested I download to transfer iTunes play list caused my computer to crash because of a fatal virus included in that program (Touch Copy). My computer has had to have a new hard drive because the virus corrupted the operating system. I have been without a computer for a week and a half, and I'm using a friend's computer now.

I can not recommend your service and would like my $38 dollars back, as the new hard drive and installation charge will be the same as a new computer.

I am very upset. Please put the $38 back on my credit card.

I am really sorry to hear that your computer is affected with a virus....:(

Unfortunately, it is not that program which caused the issue. We have recommended that software to many people, and they have had success with that. I am using it personally too.

It could be through another program. Anyhow, if you are looking for a refund, please use the following website

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund