John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

Please help me. Ive downloaded my iTunes library to my Galaxy

Customer Question

Please help me. I've downloaded my iTunes library to my Galaxy S3 but I can't get the tracks to play using the Play Music on my S3. I get a pop-up 'Music playback error' 'Couldn't play the track you requested' when a track is selected.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 3 years ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Is the music that you transferred, tracks that you have ripped from CD yourself or content purchased from the iTunes Store?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello John, the tracks are a combination of ripped music from my CDs and purchases from the iTunes store.

Thanks Archie.

There's been a lot of reports of users having issues playing tracks via the Google Play Music app. Usually, the issue is with the app itself and sometimes within Android.

If you are not set on using that application then I might recommend trying Double Twist, if only for troubleshooting purposes. It should play the music without issue and if not then there is another issue at work.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.doubleTwist.androidPlayer

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

John do you have another alternative for me towards addressing and resolving my initial issue. The reviews for Double Twist wasn't favorable with more cons than pros and I'll hate to be stuck with adware or multiple tracks of my music based on the reviews I read.

Hi again,

I'm not sure what you are reading but DT has received around 120,000 ratings by users and over 100,000 are 4 star or better. It's a trusted and reliable app that does feature banner ads in the free versions but does not install any malware, etc... This has been my app of choice for any Android phone I've had.

At the very least it was useful for troubleshooting reasons.

As far as Google Play Music goes, if it's not a file format issue itself then the other problem that often causes these errors is an out of sync media cache. This is often corrected by rebooting the phone but you can also do it manually, after adding music, with the following utility:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.addz.mediascanner

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

John I tried rebooting the phone, using the google.com link you provided . I was able to play some tracks and I'm starting to wonder if it could be due to the fact that I've some iTunes purchased and non-purchased music. I find it frustrating that I can't get all of my music to play as I have the same tracks on my iMac, iPad and older iPhone and was able to play purchased and non-purchased music, but now can't play the same things on my Galaxy S3. What else can I try?

You must have an Apple device to play old DRM-protected iTunes Store purchases however iTunes Store music has been DRM free since January 2009.

You can check if this is the issue by finding one of the songs that won't play on the S3 in iTunes on your iMac.

Control-click or Right-click on the track and choose Get info.

On the Summary page, look at the file extension at the end of "Where".

If it is .m4a is an unprotected audio file and should play in other media players that recognize the file type.

If it is .m4p then it is protected audio and will ONLY play on Apple devices.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

John, I don't know if you got my last response, but I did selected a track which is .

No, your message didn't come through and this last one seems cut off, I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

John, I'm sorry about that. What I stated was that I tried a track which showed .m4a in "where" under the Summary banner. The track was downloaded on my iMac in 2012. I believe it's recent enough that it should have played following the directions you provided. Where do we go from here? I just purchased a new track from iTunes and was able to play it on the S3. I'm confused and annoyed by this situation. What else can I do?

Yes, a track with a .m4a extension and purchased in 2012 should be DRM-free and playable by other devices.

Are the tracks you ripped from CD, and playable on the S3, in an m4a container, as well?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What's an 'm4a' container? I've check several other tracks all with m4a and they're not playing. I also purchased two additional iTunes tracks, both showed m4a in my library but are not playing. Have you or any of your associates encountered this before? I'm sure you understand my frustration and would like to resolve this as I have lots of music purchased after January 2012 in my library which I would like to listen to on my S3.

The extension on the music file indicates the container (such as m4a) much like a file folder containing different documents, an m4a container can hold different types of audio. However, in your case it's all coming out of iTunes and therefore should be similar in nature.

Earlier, I believe you said you purchased a new track from the iTunes Store and it played on the S3, correct?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm now looking at photos and I'm having a problem transferring photos from the phone to my iMax. Could this be a related problem.I never experienced these types of problems on my iPhone so I'm in shock.

Photos are an entirely different ball of wax, I'm afraid.

You will find that an Android phone does NOT work as seamlessly out of the box with a Mac as an iPhone does.

I really think you may be better off trying another music player at this point, even just to verify the tracks play and I still recommend the previously mentioned Doubt Twist.

For over all syncing, if you are not using it already then Samsung has it's "Kies" software. http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/

There's also Missing Sync for Android that works with Mac, though it is not free:
http://www.markspace.com/products/android/missing-sync-android.html

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried Kies before with the same results, but I'll give it another try since . I'll try the www.markspace.com and hope for the best. Thanks for your recommendations thus far. I'll also try restarting and/or shutting down the phone to see if it helps after going to markspace.com.

You are very welcome. Syncing and transferring data between Macs and Android phones is far from perfect and you really have to find what works best for you.

I'm ending my shift now but will try to check my email over the next 30-mins to an hour. I'll be back online afternoon ET.

If/when you have further questions just reply back and I'll answer them when I'm back.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks again. I'm going to take a break myself and try to regroup later today. Enjoy!

Thanks, you too!
Howdy!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this or other issues, please let me know.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
HELLO JOHN, I AM SORRY FOR THE DEAYED RESPONSE.
i WAS A BIT UNDER THE WEATHER BUT FEELING BETTER @ THIS MOMENT.I DID LOOK FOR AND ABOUT RESOLVING MY ISSUE. I MADE A LITTLE PROGRESS AND WAS ABLE TO SYNC & PLAY TRACKS ON THE GALAXY S3. I WAS ABLE TO GET TO PLAY AND LISTEN TO SOME OF THE OVER 1000s TRACKS DOWNLOADED ON THE S3., The TRACKS WERE PRETTY RANDOM, NOT ALL TRACKS FROM SAME ALBUM OR SAME ARTIST. ADDITIONALLY, SOME OF THE TRACKS DOWNLOADED WERE FROM ITUNES AND ALSO CD TRACKS. I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND OR KNOW WHYTHE PROBLEM EXIST.
No problem at all, Archie! I hope you are feeling better.

It's curious that songs from the same album would not play. Did you try to ReScan media app that I suggested previously at some point to manually force a rescan of the music by the Android Media Scanner?

I'm also still quite curious to know if the tracks that are unplayable by Google Play Music can be played by another Android app such as Double Twist.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

John, I haven't logged onto your site in a while. As I previously stated I've twice on 6/10/13 and 6/17/13. That should not have happened. Would you know who I can contact to have the second charge reversed. Incidentally, the initial problem is still a problem and I've resolved to have only the tracks which I can play until I get rid of the phone.

Hi Archie, I really think the answer in your case at this point in time is to use another music player. The default is, as I've mentioned, been troublesome for some users including myself. It's a shame to forego your music for the sake of one app.

If it looks like you got charged twice, I think that's what you are saying, you'd have to contact customer support for that. I've not been rated/paid so I can't imagine why a second charge would be listed and as I'm not an employee of JA, I can't investigate.

I think http://ww2.justanswer.com/customer-support should get you headed in the direction you need to go.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to connect with them.

You are very welcome, Archie.