John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

I get an error message every time I try to save a word document

I get an error message every time I try to save a word document in office for Mac 2011. It says that This is not a valid file name....etc.

I am doing everything as I always have and this just came up suddenly after woking fine for the past year since i installed it. I have already fixed a problem with normal.dotm which was preventing me from opening word.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

With Word open, select Word > About Word in the menu bar at the top of the screen, and tell me which version of Word you have, please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

14.2.3

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Jim.

From the menubar, select Help > Check for Updates. When Microsoft AutoUpdate opens, press the Check for Updates button. There should be a May 7th update available for you.

If it does not work, you can download the update (14.3.4) from the following site and install it manually.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads

Once installed, verify your copy of Word has been updated and then try saving a file.

If it still doesn't work, please quit Word.

Next, try holding down the SHIFT key on your keyboard when starting Word. Once Word is running you can release the shift key.

Afterwards, see if you can successfully save/open documents.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still having same problem after successfully completing update and trying shift key. I also tried to open an old document (which opened normally in the past) and got the message "the open xml file .docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents or the file name might contain invalid characters ...

I haven't done anything to change the contents or file name of any documents.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Where are the documents stored?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In my documents folder

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Can you tell me the previous issue you were having and what exactly you did to correct it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

About a week ago I received a .docx document attached to an email from a trusted source. I have opened numerous documents from him without issue. However, upon trying to open this document I got the error message that I could not open the document and got the error message "the open xml file .docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents or the file name might contain invalid characters (for example / \). This message also occurred with trying to save messages. Along with this, I got an error message regarding problems with normal.dotm file when I attempted to open and close Word. I did go in and trashed the existing normal.dotm file (per the advice of some Word forums) and the error messages upon opening/closing Word have stopped. However, I remain unable to open or save any documents.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. In your documents folder you should see a folder called Microsoft User Data. Please move this to the desktop, start Word and try opening/saving a document.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I moved the folder to desktop but to no avail. I still get same error message saying that "the open xml file .docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents or the file name might contain invalid characters (for example / \)."

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
This is quite a curious issue. What version if OS X are you running and do you have your original install media for Office?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't respond

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Are you having site issues?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes every time I put in my version it says that the server denies access to your website 10.8.3

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Very odd.

Ok, and do you have the original install media for your Office?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. I have reinstalled once and still got same error message saying that the file name was not valid when I went to open or save files. I did not do an uninstall before attempting reinstall.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, can you tell me the name of your boot volume (internal hard drive), is it still the default of "Macintosh HD"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it is just a back slash. I don't remember changing it.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I think we have found the cause of your issue, hopefully.

In the Finder, click the Go menu in the menu bar at the top of the screen and choose Computer.

Locate the internal hard drive and select it, then click on the name of the drive a second time so that you can edit it. Change the name to:

Macintosh HD

Restart your Mac and then try Word once more.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great. It is working. Now I have the icons for word, powerpoint, etc twice in my menu bar because I reinstalled office from the disc. How do I get rid of one of the Office copies on my computer? Thanks.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Do you actually have two copies of the Office apps installed or do you just have multiple copies of the icons in your dock?

If the latter, merely drag the duplicate icons off of the dock and drop them, they should vanish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure. Where would I look to see if it is installed twice?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Unless you moved the original copy then they should all be installed in the Applications folder.

In the Finder, click the Go menu in the menu bar at the top of the screen and choose Applications.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Looks like I just have 2 copies of Icons. Thanks for your help. You were very knowledgable.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome!

I enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can be reached directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry