John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

I have an 08 White 13" Macbook. When I try and search for

I have an 08 White 13" Macbook. When I try and search for something I'm noticing more and more a spinning colored circle prior to finding the website I'm going to or email being processed.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Randy, please try the following to see if it illiminates the issue.

Open Safari

Click "Safari" in the menubar

Choose "Reset Safari"

On the dialog window that opens, all options should be checked except
- Remove saved names and passwords
- Remove other AutoFill form text

Click "Reset"

When it's done, Shutdown your Mac.

Restart and, as soon as you hear the startup chime, Press the “OPTION” key at boot and select the “Recovery HD" option in the menu. (If that doesn't work, restart and try COMMAND + R + OPT after the chime.)

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL)

Choose Disk Utility from the available options.

In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar (usually "Macintosh HD").

Then, Click "Repair Disk"

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Then, restart your Mac and it should boot back into your normal Desktop.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When Safari first opened the configuration was already correct so I clicked "Reset" and then shutdown the computer. Upon start up, I tried the "Option" key and then the COMMAND + R + OPT after the chime and after the all white screen continued for about 30 seconds with the dial showing in the middle of the screen my wallpaper just came up. I could never get to "Recovery HD".

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information.

Then, click on the word "Version" until it says "Build" and please provide that number.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX indeed the normal retail build so the previous commands should work for you and the Recovery HD volume should be present.

Restart and try pressing and holding Command + R immediately after the chime (do NOT press OPTION). Then following the rest of the procedure, if successfull.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Still no luck. As soon as I hear the chime (screen is still black), I have again tried both Command + R and Command + R + Option and then the screen goes white, the Apple logo come up, then the spinning dial below the logo comes on, about 45 seconds pass, then the screen goes all white, then seems to change again to another all white screen, then the colored spinning dial comes on at the upper left hand corner of the all white screen, another 30 seconds or so passes and then my wallpaper comes on.

How was Lion originally originally installed on your MacBook?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have Snow Leopard 10.6.3 that was installed with a disc.

It seems you are missing the Rocovery HD partition that is created when Lion is normally installed. Try this alternative instead;

Restart your Mac

Immediately press the "Command" + "S" Key at the same time

When the screen goes black and you start seeing text, let go.

After a short period of time you will land at a command prompt.

At the command-line prompt, type:
/sbin/fsck -fy

and Press Return.

(fsck is a file system checker. It will run through a battery of tests, looking at different aspects of your file system.

When it's done, it will normally produce one of two messages

1) "The volume (name of your hard drive) appears to be OK

If it states the above, then your drive is fine and you can simply type "reboot" at the prompt to restart your Mac and boot back to the Desktop.

2) If fsck found any errors, it may have tried to correct them and will display this message: --FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED--

If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed at the beginning

/sbin/fsck -fy

and Press Return.

Keep repeating this until it reports your drive is OK.

If by some reason you need to do the above more than 5 times, this indicates a more serious issue. At the very least, the hard drive needs to be formatted and OS X should be re-installed.

However, assuming everything goes okay, type 'reboot' at the prompt and then press Return.

Once you are back at the desktop;

In the Finder, click on "Go" in the menubar and choose "Utilities"

Locate the "Disk Utility" app and open it

In the left hand sidebar, choose your Mac's Hard Drive (Usually "Macintosh HD").

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Once the process has completed, restart your Mac.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this or other issues, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

John, I ran the file checker system and everything came back "OK" but my problem continues. Is there anything I can do to try and "clean up" the laptop?

In the Finder click the Go menu and choose Computer.

In the new window that opens, locate the internal hard drive ( usually named Macintosh HD ) and Control-click on it.

Select Get Info from the menu.

What does it lost for;

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What does it lost for? Not sure what you're saying on what I should do.

Sorry, auto-correct got me. That should be what does it "list" for those items:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Capacity- 159.18 GB, Available- 57.36 GB, Used- 101,826,727,936 bytes (101.83 GB on disk)

Thanks again Randy.

It's often seen that laptop hard drives can get noticeably slower during some tasks, such as searching, the more data they have on them and this could be part of what you are experiencing. It could be an accumulation of cache files, too.

Please perform the following to remove some of those cached files and see if any difference is noticeable:

Restart your Mac

As soon as you hear the Startup chime, press and hold the SHIFT key

Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the Desktop.

Once done, immediately restart and let it boot normally.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It seems better but issue still there so may just have to live with it.

Also, how do I close a web page but not the entire browser. Normally there is an "x" if multiple pages are open but if only one is open I don't see an "x" and have to close the entire browser rather than just the page to get back to my wallpaper page with all my icons.

If you don't have any tabs open then you must close the window to close the currently open page in Safari. Safari itself should still be running in your Dock though.

If you want to quickly get back to your listing of Top Sites in Safari, however, you can press Option-Command-1.

Select "About This Mac"

What does it show for Memory?