Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My iPod touch 4g is stuck in recovery mode no matter what I

Customer Question

My iPod touch 4g is stuck in recovery mode no matter what I do. I have tried using a different computer, I have tried to restore it numerously, I have tried holding the Power button and home buttons together etc. but it never works! When I try to recover it, it says it is preparing the iPod but then it gives my error number 1611. Please Help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name is Dustin, And I am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

The two computers that you tried using... Were they both macs, or both PC's ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They were both Macs (v: 10.6.3 + 10.6.8). They were both fully updated on itunes too.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jack..

Do you knjow anyone with a pc.. That we could attempt to try and complete the restore with?

Sometimes macs will cause that error on ipods during a restore..

Where as a pc running in safe mode, generally will not....

Also, in the meantime you could try creating a new user account on one of the macs.

And them shutting down, starting in safe mode.. and then trying to restore your ipod through itunes.. The new user account could help... But I still believe our best bet is to try a restore from a pc In safe mode.. If you still end up getting the same error, then weknow theres a hardware fault within the device..

Dustin S.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hi..

Im unsure of why you rated me with bad service.. Ive worked with macs and PC alike for years.. As well as ipods, iphones, and ipads.

There's no way in the time before you sent that bad rating, that you had time to read and try my suggestions.. To try a restore from a pc , and also from a mac in safe mode.

Those two processes would have taken much longer then 7 minutes you had to read my reply, and then rated it negatively.

Also, even if the steps didnt work. ( which I know you didnt have time to even attempt)

That still should not translate into a negative rating, as I am attempting to help you.. I cannot be certain 100 % of the exact step that will work.. All I can be certain of is that if we try the normal repair routines, at some point one of them will work..

Id like you to reconsider your bad service rating..

And in the future before leaving a negative rating like that, It would be honorable and rational to at least attempt the suggested steps first..

Thank you,

And if you have any questions or would like further assistance, I will be happy to provide it.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried EVERYTHING you said and none of it worked. Sorry you could not help me. Thanks for trying though :(

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
So you tried connecting the ipod to a PC..

Putting the PC in safe mode... And then attempting a restore...

All within the six minutes it took for you to rate me with bad service?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I have looked at EVERY possible solution before on the internet and I didn't want to feel like a jerk saying you weren't helpful WHATSOEVER! if u don't believe me I will send u a pick of my iPod (still broken).

P.S. it was 9 minutes.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
If you had tried to recover using a microsoft PC.. It seems like when I asked you if you had tried using only macs..

And you said "They were both Macs (v: 10.6.3 + 10.6.8). They were both fully updated on itunes too.""

Thats why I suggested attempting with a PC..

If you do not tell me about the things you have tried, and if you tell me specifically that you havent tried something.

Its not fair to rate me with bad service when I suggest something you havent tried..

And just because one suggestion doesnt work, doesnt mean that there arent literally dozens of procedures we can attempt.. At the end of the day either you want to work through the entire process of attempting a repair, or you dont...

I can only assist as much as im allowed to assist!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have obviously been working on my iPod for a couple of days since it was really expensive. I have tried using a PC but not today so I didn't think it was worth mentioning.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
On the Mac that the iPod is synced with please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.