Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

How do you improve spell check on MacBook Air? I find that

How do you improve spell check on MacBook Air? I find that I mis-type the same words all the time, i.e. Could and Would and spell check turns them into the craziest words ever...is there some way to personalize the program?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

Its possible to edit what choices spellcheck offers for common mispellings, To do so, I would need to know what version of mac osx you have, 10.6 10.7 10.8 , and what programs your using spell check in.. Word 2011, Pages, Text edit, etc..

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dustin

I am using a MAC OSX

Email 5.3

Word Mac 2011

Thanks, Barbara

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
One more quick question Barbara, is the issue that your spell check is automatically ( without you selecting the spelling you want )

Automatically changing the words to something you dont want?

Maybe, what would suit you best is to change it so that It asks you before it makes a correction.. So you can then choose what to change the mispelling to..

Would that suit your purposes better.. Or, am I misunderstanding the situation.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What happens is that I apparently am trying to type "could" and instead I must type "codul" and when I right click I only get "coddle".....Can't I somehow program "Could" into the right click options?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dustin--forgot to tell you that I am using mac osx version 10.7.5

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
The best way to proceed without editing the macs dictionary too much.. Would be to right click the mispelled word.

Click substitutions.. And then add a new substitution.. Such as for codul, add a substitution for could..

That way, it becomes a choice you can use for the text substitution option.. And you can right click any common misspellings you make that its not interpreting correctly, and add the new substitution for the word you want.

Try it out.. And if you need further assistance, let me know Barbara..

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dustin, I right clicked on substitutions but i codul not figure out how to add a new substitution!

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
We may need to go into the dictionairy to add the subsitition itself.

lets go to your system preferences ( via the spotlight or finder )

Then, click on the language and text section.

Then click on Text

It should show a list of subsititions here.. Then, you can add whatever substitution you want..

Such as codul or coudl into could..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dustin--Sorry I was out of the loop for a bit. I clicked on system preferences and then clicked on language and test but codul not find a place to add a spelling...

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood Barbara.. And my apologies for the delay in replying.. The 9th, when you replied was day I ended up taking off work due to health issues.

Im back today, feeling somewhat better.. If you would like to try and connect today, I can offer you a remote support session.. Where I can connect to you and your mac from here, see your screen, and help show you directly the places where we can add the substitutions..

Let me know if that is an option you would be interested in.. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dustin--Today I am scheduled back to back until about 5pm EDT or anytime tomorrow--tell me what works best for you....

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
So , after 5pm EDt you would be available Barbara?

That works pretty well for me.. As I will still be online till about 9pm EDT..

If today ends up being busier then you thought, theres always tommorow..

Dustin S.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hi XXXXX didnt hear back from you.. And I wanted to contact you to let you know that I am still here and available..

I understand that your schedule may have gotten busy, and thats ok.. Id just like to keep the lines of communication open, so that we can both work together to put a final resolution to this issue youve been having.

Dustin S
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dustin--Sorry I did not get back to you..I had a client in town for a few days from Canada...are you available by phone this afternoon? Thanks, Barbara

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
HI Barbara, If our company allowed phone consultations, I would certainly be available by phone for you this afternoon.

What I can offer you, is a screen sharing session. ( for no extra fee )

In an effort to resolve this issue, I would like to offer you a remote support session.. What a remote support session does is allow me to connect to your and to your computer, and then I can manually see whats happening from here, and then make the neccessary changes while you observe. Our remote software that allows this one time connection is secure, and easy to use.

Would you consider remote support as a viable option to allow us to resolve your issue more expediciously and efficiently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes this sounds like a good approach.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Im happy that you feel that way Barbara, as I can truly provide the most help in person, and we can quiclly go over many settings swaps and changes in a short amount of time.

Let me know when its a good time for you, and when you have the mac in question with you.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

5pm today would be great!

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
That sounds like a good time for me too..

Please send a message at 5, so I know you are online and ready, and I will send you the connection steps..

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dustin--I am on line and ready--just tell me what to do...

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. Lets try and get the computer ready to connect.

Please click the link below..

http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=566c05f9-616a-48c6-8c13-be2924c8e214&SUPPORT=JAVAW

Download the software.. Install it.

And then, yuo should see a joining screen.. When you arrive at this screen, please send a message so I know your ready to connect.

Thanks,

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The wheel just keeps scrolling around....

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Hey Barbara, my apologies for the delay in getting back to you.. Our power dropped for a few times last night during the big lightning storm we had..

Today, right after I spoke to you and after my wireless router working most the day.. It died out on me.. Reloading the firmware got it working for a few minutes, then it died again before I could reply.

Now running of an older router that I had in storage, so not sure how solid the connection will be..

Not sure if your still online.. But if you are.. When you tried to connect to the link I sent you, were you using safari, or firefox, or chrome?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dustin--Sorry I had to take a break and fix dinner...now I have some paperwork I have to finish for a meeting in the morning..do you have any time tomorrow afternoon? Thanks so much, Barbara

PS I use Safari

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hi Barbara.. I do have some time this afternoon, I woke up early, went out and purchased some new networking equipment .. ( Working over the internet I cannot go without reliale equipment. )

So everything should be solid and ready for this afternoon.. Thank you for your patience and understanding so far, and I look forward to continuing with you as time permits.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dustin---How does 2pm today work for you? Thanks, B

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
2 pm works great for me Barbara.

I hope your day today is productive and as stress free as possible..

Look forward to a successful meeting with you at 2..

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

A client just called for a brief lunch meeting at 1pm--lets connect at 2:30...

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Anytime from now, until 10 pm works for me.. I realize that things may change and I appreciate you keeping me updated Barbara..

D.S
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dustin--Just got back from my meeting--are you available?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
I am available Barbara.

Assuming you have the Macbook air with you right now, and assuming you have time.

Lets start the connection process.

Click the link below.

join.me

click the oroange button to create a session.. ( use the free version )

Once you have downloaded installed the software, and created the connection.

Send a reply here and include the 7- 9 digit connection code, so that I can then connect to you.

Good luck, and if you run into any issues, let me know!

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have been clicking the orange words "join.me" (there is no button) but nothing is happening...

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

My apologies, my instructions may have been a little misleading

when yuo go to the Join.me page.

you need to click on the oroange triangle that says " start meeting"

Then, it should download a small file, and once downloaded. If you install that file it will let you create the meeting on your end.

Then I will need the connection code you see when you create your meeting,

Thanks Barbara..

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

829-876-030

This is feeling pretty complicated to me Dustin. What is happening now?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
im going to try to connect to you now.. We should be ready.

Please standby for just a few moments.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Here is the document for reference.

for instance, if a common mispelling for would, is wolud

as soon as you type wolud and you press the space bar one time to end the word.

Take your mouse pointer, now drag the pointer and highlight the mispelling we want to be fixed.

right click, or if you only have a one button mouse, hold down ctrl ( the control key on your keyboard ) hold down ctrl and click on the highlighted word.

Now, we want to click on spelling , on the drop down menu we get after we control click or right click on the mispelled word.

Then, on the window that shows up.. We want to click the correct spelling ( would )

And then click auto correct..

Now, everytime you mispel would, in that fashion ( wodul )

Its going to automatically correct it to " would " after you press the space bar after the word.

You can repeat this for any number or mispellings you want, each time you mispel something in a specific way, just repeat the steps above.

The only warning I have is, be careful of things like peace and piece .. As autocorrect doesnt always know whether you mean a "peace ful " situation, or "pieces " of a puzzle.

If you have any further questions, let me know!

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hello Barbara,

This is Dustin from JustAnswer. I wanted to follow up with you and I hope this doesnt come at a bad time, I know how busy your schedule is.

The purpose of this message, Is I wanted to reach out to you and offer to help you with anything else you may have been having issues with, errors on your mac, setting up email synchronization or calendar synchronization between your mac and other devices. Or even setting up a data backup system to protect any important emails or contacts or documents you have.

If there is anything else you can think of that you have been having issues with, now that we know we can connect via the screen sharing session, I would be happy to work around your schedule, and assist you with anything that come's up.

Thanks again, and I hope your having a great week!

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Dustin