Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment

Having MAC issues, hard drive doesnt boot

Customer Question

Having MAC issues, hard drive doesn't boot and shuts down 5 seconds after I press power button

This happened after I was asked to reboot after an iTunes update.....
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name is Dustin, And I am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

Would you like to keep waiting for MacHelpDesk, or would you rather proceed with your support request now?

Im asking because after a set amount of time if the expert is online or offline, your question gets redirected to the unsolved list..

Thank you,

Dustin S
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let's go, how can you help
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
To start out with Steve, I need to gather some information.

What version of mac osx do you have on your mac, snow leaopard, Lion, mountain lion. ( 10.6 10.7 10.8 )

Also, is this an Imac, a macbook air, a macbook pro ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mountain lion MacBook Pro
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Steve..

When you tried safe mode.. And when you tried resetting the pram.. Did the macbook ever boot past five seconds ( without turning off )

Also, if you try to boot with command R .. Will it let you access the recovery partition?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, nothing I tried got it past 5 seconds. It was working fine until I restarted after installing the iTunes upgrade then It won't boot. No light on the mac icon.
The hard drive spins then shuts itself off
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood.

And can you clarify if you have tried starting using the command R option?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, tried that and command, opt, p & r also tried single user mode. Total black screen, nothing happens
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Did this machine ship with Mountain lion on it?

Or did it have lion, and you upgraded to mountain lion later on...

Also, whatever it shipped with.. Do you have the OSX install disk.. or any of the disk's that came with the Macbook.. ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I upgraded to mountain lion and I don't have any startup disks
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Were definitely going to need a startup disk.

Youve already tried command T, command V, command S , command R

( and your holding down those buttons from before you press power... )

And none of those four commands will show any signs of life at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct, they all start the boot sequence in getting the drive spinning but nothing after 5 seconds. How would I get a startup disk? My neighbor has a MacBook pro, could he burn one for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the power chord is plugged into the mac it will try to boot when I press the power key then shut off like I said then about 2 seconds later will try to boot itself again and just sit there with the fans or something on, like it's trying to do something
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
He may have a startup disk...

And worse case scenario, you can redownload mountain lion for 20$ .. And then use a usb stick drive to make a bootable mountain lion usb.. ( and then use that to repair your broken mountain lion install. Probably with an archive and install.. But at least a recovery install is neccesary )

The link below, discusses the process of making a bootable usb stick with mountain lion on it.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167857/how_to_make_a_bootable_mountain_lion_install_drive.html

If you have further questions, feel free to reply.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I can use my other PC to download a version of Lion then make a bootable usb on my PC for my MAC?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately not... The issue is.. The apple app store, wont let you downlaod mountain lion onto a PC.. youd have to download it to a mac first.,.

Then you could transfer the file to a pc in order to create the bootable usb ...

Do you know anyone who has a mac, so we could start the download?

If not, may have to consider purcasing a mountain lion install disk..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My neighbor has one. I could walk over there, would you still be able to assist me doing this?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
I will be online for the next 7 hours , roughly..

And will be online tommorow as well.. From around noon till 8 pm.. ( I work monday through friday next week as well)

As long as you reply within those time frames, I will be able to continue assisting you..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
great, thank you.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem..

( not trying to spam message you, but as long as I am online, its company policy that I always send the last reply of each exchange )

Dustin S.