Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

stuck on startup screen when restarted grey screen and it looks

Customer Question

stuck on startup screen when restarted grey screen and it looks like a no smoking screen like a circle with a line through it tried holding shift screen but afraid that because my keyboard is wireless that it might not work idk whats going on...
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Interesting.
A wireless keyboard can be used but it is tricky with timing.
This will help with that.

Apple Wireless Keyboards will not recognize pressing and holding down startup keys during startup until the startup chime sound is heard. This is normal behavior. You may find it helpful to press and hold startup key combinations while the startup chime is playing. Two common startup key combinations are listed below.

Choosing a startup disk using the Option key

Press and hold the Option key while the startup chime is still playing.

You can also choose the startup disk manually by choosing System Preferences from the Apple () menu, then choosing Startup Disk from the View menu. Select your startup disk from the available choices and click Restart.

If you're using a removable hard disk drive to start up from, it must be powered on and connected to your Mac before it will appear as an available startup disk. If the startup disk you want to use is network-based, it must be available before it will appear in the Startup Disk System Preferences pane as a choice.

Resetting PRAM

Press and hold the Command + Option + P + R keys while the startup chime is playing.

What you seem to be seeing is a sign that a system cannot be found to boot from. Have you gotten any warnings about the startup disk getting full?

What kind of Mac and what version of OS X is on it?