Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I was looking at my photos in iPhoto and have over 1000 and

Customer Question

I was looking at my photos in iPhoto and have over 1000 and 2 seconds later I click on it to bring it back up and most of my photos have disappeared. It is showing that I have 81 photos now and none of my albums are there that I had created years ago? Help please!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

First, do not panic, wait until later for that. Quit iPhoto if open.

They are still there, just hiding. The first thing is to repair permissions. This PDF explains why and how.

Repairing Permissions

Next is a pram reset, like a stern restart.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys all together at the same time.

‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P' all together at the same time.

Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.

The sound should also get louder.

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Try that and open iPhoto and see if they are back.

Let me know please.