Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I am not able to open some websites using safari or google

Customer Question

I am not able to open some websites using safari or google chrome
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Can we start with you telling me what version of OS X you have?
Look in the Apple menu in 'About this Mac'.
graphic
Who is your ISP?
When did this start?
Can you give me a URL of a site that does not open?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.6.8

This started last night. I am unable to open:

http://kennesaw.edu/

facebook.com

What is ISP?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Internet service provider, as in Time Warner or RoadRunner.
I suspect it is the DNS (domain name server) that needs attention and we will get to that in a bit.
First though I want you to repair permissions as outlined in this PDF.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Windstream.

I am currently under disk utility, highlighted "250.06 GB TOSHIBA MK..." then selected 'repair permissions'.

Estimated time is 51 minutes..

The only two other options are "Macintosh HD" and "MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-898"

Did I select the right one?

Thank you!

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Either one will work, Stacy.

The Matshita is the DVD or optical drive, has nothing to repair.
The Toshiba and Mac HD are the same drive, Toshiba is the root name.
It will go faster than it says, it likes to make you think it is working very fast when it gets done.
Pay no attention to SUID files.
When it gets done then try FB and see what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Repair is complete. Facebook still will not open.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I expected that.
Now open System Preferences.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Or click the gearbox in the dock.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Then open Network.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Then click advanced.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Now select DNS.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Click the plus and type in 8.8.8.8 press return, click the plus again and type in 8.8.4.4 press return.
If there are other numbers there please write them down, might need them, then click once to highlight and click the minus sign.

Click OK and apply then close System Preferences.
Now try FB again.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still can't open fb

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok, on to the next.
We will do a pram reset.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys all together at the same time.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P' all together at the same time.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.
The sound should also get louder.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.
Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.
It can take many tries to get it, any USB keyboard is preferable.
Substitute the Control key for the Command key and Alt for Option, all others stay the same.

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

If you have a laptop just use the built in keyboard.
Failing this we will reset the modem and or router.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still did not work, but when I reset the router my internet connection automatically went to a different network. I am able to open up facebook, but in Kennesaw.edu I am unable to open individual emails in my inbox.

I still cannot open either site under my secured network.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Please explain how you reset the router.
What do you mean it went to a different network? Please expand that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just pushed in the reset button.

When I click on the internet connection icon at the top of the screen, it looks like it automatically connected to an unsecured internet connection "Cisco..." When I click on my network "WIN..." I cannot access those websites.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Stacy. This is how to reset the network without changing any setting like network name os any passwords.
Unplug both the router and modem.
Plug the router back in first then the modem.
This makes them shake hands and work together.
If all the above fails to allow access to FB and others then I suggest calling your ISP (internet provider) as it is something on that end that is blocking connection.