Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Macbook Pro will not boot up. Goes to white screen with Apple

Customer Question

Macbook Pro will not boot up. Goes to white screen with Apple Logo and little wheel turning. Will not go into safe mode.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ? When did this problem started ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure. it is my daughters laptop. She has owned it about 2 years. It will not boot up so I can not get info.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Do you have any OS X discs came with it ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I do not have the disks. She does not remember if disks came in box.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
If it came without any discs, then it should have Mac OS X 10.7 or later installed on it. We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not. First we can reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM

1. Turn off your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command(Apple), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple)-Option-P-R keys.
  4. Release the keys when you hear the startup/chime sound for 3 times.
  5. Let the Mac boot up.

If that didn't work, then run Disk Utility in Single User Mode. Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. This will boot your Mac into Single User Mode (black screen with white letters). Then type the following commands...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck -fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

after /sbin/fsck -fy: Got err Runtime corruption detected on Macintosh HD. fsck will be forced on next mount

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Herman, the error indicates that the system files are corrupted. We need to reinstall your Mac OS X. Turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys (for atleast 1 minute). Your Mac should boot into Lion Recovery or Mac OS X Utilities window. Let me know if it didn't
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did Command and R keys for more than 2 minutes, back at white screen with Apple Logo and spinning wheel?

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Are you 100% sure there is no OS X discs came with it ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Herman, restart your Mac and immediately hold down Option key on your Keyboard and does it boot into Startup Manager screen with any icons ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, icon for EFI boot and picture of HD

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
How many icons of HD can you see there ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just one

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
That means there is no Recovery partition installed on it. Can you ask you daughter whether she remember the version of OS X installed on it ? It should be like 10.6, 10.7 etc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She lives 20 miles away and she teaches school in the morning. Need to contact her after school regarding disks. Is there any other way to get this fixed without the disks?

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay Herman. We need the discs to reinstall the OS X. It seems like you are using older version of OS X (i.e 10.6 or lower) on it. 10.7 or later include a Recovery HD and your Mac doens't have it. So we can't reinstall from online.

If there isn't any discs came with it, then you have to the buy the Mac OS X Discs. You can buy the 10.6 Snow Leopard discs and install it. Get it from here : http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Once you get the discs, just put it on your Mac, then restart and hold down the C key on your keyboard. This will boot the Mac to the installation screen (disc) and then follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have looked through Apple Support Boards and basically the information you are giving me is there! I was hoping to get this started up without the disk. I knew already that I could buy the disk and fix it if that is necessary. I mean aren't there other things that could work; re-synch the RAM Memory of re-synch the HD... L was looking for more than just buy the discs. I don't think your service was worth $38 regarding this solution.

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Herman, I can give you only correct available solutions. Your Mac's system files were corrupted and you have to reinstall your OS X to over write the corrupted ones with new one. There are no other steps to start up your Mac. We've tried all troubleshooting steps so far and you can't move further without the discs. If there is any other ways to fix the problem, I would prefer giving that method to you. Sorry, I couldn't give you a better answer.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.

Herman, if you are not satisfied with my service, you can contact [email protected] for refund. And don't rate the answer anything.

Best Regards,

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, if you are NOT satisfied with my service, you can contact [email protected] for refund. And don't rate the answer anything.