Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Having a problem opening my VMware fusion on a MacBook Pro.

Customer Question

Having a problem opening my VMware fusion on a MacBook Pro. It is hanging up, then crashing over and over on both the Fusion side, and the Mac OS X side. I have tried repairing permissions, disk utility, opening snapshots. Please help.

I sometimes get an error message saying Operation on file “/Virtual Machines.localized/WindowsVista.vmwarevm/WindowsVista-s006.vmdk”failed.
If the file resides on a remote file system, please make sure your network connection and server where this disk resides are functioning properly.
If the file resides on removable media, reattach the media.
Choose Retry to attempt the operation again.
Choose Abort to terminate this session.
Choose Continue to forward the error to the guest operating system”
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Do you only have one hard drive? Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Version 10.8.3

Processor 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Only one hard drive? Did you also Verify Disk?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I did do a verify disk with no problems.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Try the directions here to repair the VM Virtual Disk:

http://www.markedgington.com/2009/09/09/how-to-repair-a-vmware-virtual-disk-on-os/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This does not work. It seems to be for older versions of Fusion. It just says error.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
What version are you running? You have to replace the info for your exact file names.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

VMware Fusion Professional Version 5.0.3 (1040386)

I did make the files names exact to the same file names in the error

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok I would try installing a new VM just to see if it is the program or the Virtual Disk. If the new install works fine then that will tell us something.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This was not a help at all. The link you provided was for an older VMware Fusion version, and a link I had seen on the internet before. I was unable to fix it and lost all of my data by having to load a new VMware Fusion virtual machine and start from scratch.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
The location of the files wold be the same regardless of the version. Creating a new Virtual Disk would have no affect at all on your previous VM. I didn’t say to install over it I said to create a new one... it would be totally separate. Sorry if you misunderstood. It would not wipe anything out.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Of course your new VM would not have any of your old data but the old VM should still be accessible. Can you clarify?