Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

A few months ago the slide shows on various web pages stopped

A few months ago the slide shows on various web pages stopped working. I click on the "forward" arrow, but nothing happens. I didn't make any settings changes nor download any questionable software. It simply stopped working on both Safari and Firefox. Help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

WHen you upgraded to Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.x did you prepare for it?
I mean what steps did you take before the upgrade?
Does this affect all websites or just some?
Can you give me a URL to one that does not work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I prepared for the upgrade to Mountain Lion. My problem started at least six months ago, long before the OS upgrade. Look at www.rr.com and try to open any of the slide shows.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Slide shows on some web sites work, but most do not.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it seems to work ok for me. The first thing I suggest is repairing permissions.

Repairing Permissions

That PDF explains why and how.

Next I suggest trying a different browser such as Firefox (assuming you are using Safari), this will determine if it is the browser or something else.

Try that and let me know. This is not necessarily the final answer, if it doesn't solve it then we will continue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll try it now. I also have Firefox and have the same problem on it.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
It may have nothing to do with your Mac but your ISP or home network.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's what I think too.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Please list the devices that you have in your network such as router, modem and ISP.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, that fixed it on Safari, but not Firefox. What should I do for that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I use Time Warner Cable (Roadrunner) and have a modem and a router on the system.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
What fixed it on Safari?
Much the same as I use.

I suggest resetting the modem and router. Just unplug from power and wait 10 seconds and plug them back in.
Do the router and while it is unplugged do the modem. Then plug the router back in before the modem. This makes them handshake and work together.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After using the Disk Utility for Repair Permissions the slide shows started working again on several sites when I used Safari, but not when I used Firefox. I followed your instructions on the router/modem reset. Still works on Safari, but not Firefox.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Is Firefox current? I do not use Firefox myself, I use Safari with a modifier.
Easy to do, just open Safari preferences.
graphic
Then click.
graphic
To turn on the menu.
graphic
Now it can read any site without issue.

As for Firefox try this.

Let me know Michael.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that corrected the problem. Now it's fixed in both Firefox and Safari. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wait . . . it now works on Firefox, but not Safari. Will it just work on one or the other? First Safari was corrected, but not FF. Now FF works, but not Safari.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still there?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
They should be able to run at the same time. You may be running up against machine limitations such as not enough RAM to go around.
I have 16GB RAM in my iMac and wide band RoadRunner ISP.

I suggest just using one browser.
Also a clod start would not hurt anything, it clears the memory out so things work better.

That is really all I have for you Michael.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I'll use Safari. I just ran a second permissions repair, but it didn't help. What do I need to do to get Safari running slide shows again? It was fine for a few minutes.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
With all software up to date including Flash there is no reason for it to not work.
I know that sometimes refreshing or reloading a page will jog it into working.
FB is like that, it will not always load completely unless a reload is triggered.
For it to work and then not and then work again is nothing I cannot help more than I have.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.