Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

My IPAD wont start up. It shows an I-tunes icon and a USB

Customer Question

My IPAD won't start up. It shows an I-tunes icon and a USB cable to connect. when I connect it to my laptop with iTunes on, it can't "update". Despite my laptop being connected to the internet, it gives a message that it can't find the server??

Thanks
Willem
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 3 years ago.

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with the ipad. Since the ipad is showing a USB cable and an itunes logo, it means that the ipad is not able to log you into the home screen.

The only way out is to restore the ipad from the computer. But I read from your question that you are not able to update the ipad because it gives you an error that the server cannot be contacted, correct?

I would suggest you to turn off the firewall and antivirus in your computer (if any) and then try to restore/update the ipad

If that does not resolve your issue, let's try this document

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1814

Then try to restore the ipad. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any difficulty.

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Vinod

Thanks for helping. Turning of my AVG anti-virus as well as AVG firewall unfortunately didn't fix the problem. It still says: The iTunes update server could not be contacted. Please check your nternet connection, or try later.

Regards

Willem

Let's try this document on automatically detecting the settings.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1814

Then try to restore the ipad.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Vinod

I have checked/changed the LAN settings as well as deleting the sample "hosts" file with no success. The support.apple.com/kb/ts1814 document directed me to another "help"-document. I had a look around there but haven't tried their possible solutions yet. I am first going to try and connect the ipad to another laptop with iTunes on to see if it gives the same problem. Why would iTunes give a message that it is trying to connect the "iphone" to the server if it is an "ipad" that is connected? I need to get to bed as well, because I have to get up early tomorrow. Working in another town tomorrow. Already late here. How do I follow up with you on another day?

Thanks

Willem

Hi Willem,

Sorry for the delay. I went to bed thinking you lost me.

When you are trying to update/restore the ipad, it can be done only from the Apple server. So the program will look for the necessary files from the server location. It may not be able to contact that location, may be because of antivirus, hosts file blocking or any other security software.

It is now better to try with a different computer. If that does not work either, try renaming the hosts file.

In that same document I gave you, when you scroll down to the bottom, there the process is described under "Additional Information".

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1814

Let me know

Thank You
Vinod
Regarding follow up:

You can bookmark this website and get back to me anytime. Or save this link

http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/7swwb-ipad-won-t-start-up-shows-i-tunes-icon-usb.html

Take your own time and reply. It is too late here for me too (2:42 AM).