Richard, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

I have an ipod that only one earbud was working and read online

I have an ipod that only one earbud was working and read online that if i open it, unscrew the jack's securing screw and adjust the positioning of the headphone plug with the headphhone jack until sound is present through both buds then tighten screw back once in position that it would fix the problem...only once I was able to pry the ipod open, I all of a sudden lost all sound...did I somehow mess something up on the motherboard, and if so, how do I repair the problem?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your Question. My name is Richard.

The original problem is nearly always the headphones, not the iPod.

Do you have no sound with other headphones? Have you tested others?

What exactly did you touch when you pried it open?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I first tested the headphones by trying other pairs (sorry I forgot to mention that)

I did not touch anything when I opened it initially, but it had no sound...thought maybe upon opening it perhaps I had disconnected something somewhere, but I can't see anything detached. At that point, I plugged in my earbuds and using an eyeglass-type screwdriver, I loosened and pressed on the headphone jack to see if I could attain sound. I didn't press very hard or try any big sort of movement as I have become unsure of what happened.

Hope this info. helps you. :)

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
did you de-static yourself before touching the iPod?

This means clipping a static bracelet to you and connecting it to a large piece of metal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, but I wear a sterling silver link bracelet at all times, does that do the trick? :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

and the screwdriver I was using is all metal...handle and all

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No sorry!

You shorted out the iPod's speaker module.

You ALWAYS needs to use one of these when touching any electrical components.

Click ME

The problem is, you have a build up of static in your body, and this can short out a component of the iPod when you touched it, which has occurred.

How old is the iPod?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That doesn't sound correct to me as I didn't touch anything with my fingers. In the case that this did happen, how do I go about replacing/repairing the 'sound module'?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you only need to come in close contact with it, but if you touched nothing, this is the only explanation, it will not just stop working on itself, plus prising it open puts a lot on pressure on it if not done correctly.

You cannot buy the part, (none of the components from Apple are sold seperatly) which is why I asked you how old it is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, prying is quite a bit of pressure; however, the prying was done in an upward direction, away from the component as it is the face that lifts away from the backing. The backing houses the component. If Apple components are not sold separately, what does it matter the age?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
because you can attempt a warranty

Why are you avoid this question? It is twice now I ask

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

at this point, I didn't realize you expected that answer...I apologize. It is past the warranty period, otherwise I would've taken it to Apple :) I read online that doing this attempt would void the warranty and so it was suggested to use if you were past your warranty period.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem!

Have you done a Factory Reset of the iPod to rule out any firmware corruption?

Richard, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: IT Engineer for over 15 years
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Did you really need to rate me poorly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not sure if i did it correctly. I clicked on reset all settings under settings, but no change. Regarding my rating, I don't know, would you want to pay for an answer that didn't solve your problem?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You are not paying for an answer, you are paying for my service.

And rating me bad has no impact on whether you paid or not, you already have.

All you did was just give me a black mark and receive nothing for working on the problem for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

wow, whatever....how is it that I'm now enrolled in unlimited plan when I clicked 'not now'. How do I cancel this trial membership that I don't want?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you clicked not now, it will not enroll you.

If you enrolled and want to not enroll anymore, then email

customerservice@justanswer.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I clicked on not now then I clicked on my account and there it reads that I'm currently in unlimited plan. All after I gave u a good rating, so I don't think it actually charged me until then. thanks.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem, send the email in to cancel it, they will do this for you.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i was being sarcastic.