Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

So I have a 15in MBP with retina display. It has an HDMI output

So I have a 15in MBP with retina display. It has an HDMI output and two thunderbolts. I was thinking about getting two external monitors with DVI inputs, get two DVI/thunderbolt cables and just plug them in. My objective would be to close my laptop and use the two monitors side by side with an external keyboard and mouse while I work. My problem is that I'm simply not sure if this is even feasible and if it is, how effective (fast) it will be. I don't want to run the risk of buying two monitors, and two cables and then have them not work like I want to and be out a bunch of money. So, do you think it will work this way?
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

What you are looking at is possible, it is called Clamshell mode.
This Apple article explains all about how to use this feature.
ThunderBolt is capable of multiple connections.
This explains that subject.
Your MBP is able to support two ThunderBolt monitors and I think the built in monitor for a total of 3.
The biggest problem is heat so use a laptop cooling device under the MBP to help it dissipate the heat.

Does that help?