Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I have an iMac. Occasionally when on the web, after a mouse

Customer Question

I have an iMac. Occasionally when on the web, after a mouse click, the screen goes blank - grey, black or the latest, blue stripes. The mouse is ineffective and alt/command/esc for force quit does not work. It never happened before I upgraded from leopard to snow leopard. My modem connection is not interrupted. I shut down using the start button. Any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Does this happens only when you browse web ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes.

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not. First we can reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM

1. Turn off your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command(Apple), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple)-Option-P-R keys.
  4. Release the keys when you hear the startup/chime sound for 3 times.
  5. Let the Mac boot up.

Then turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. This will boot your Mac into Single User Mode (black screen with white letters). Then type the following commands...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck -fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I went through the steps you suggested and waited to see if the problem was gone. It just happened again. I did not want to rate your service untiI I knew the problem was fixed. Apparently there is something else going on. I find it odd that you did not ask questions.

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, I did ask you question about when did this problem started. The steps we've tried so far was only basic solutions to repair some system files and reset some settings. Since those steps didn't work, we can do some advanced troubleshooting.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
What version of Mac OS X are you using ? You can find it out from Apple > About This Mac
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'm using OSX 10.6.8. I finally upgraded from leopard to snow leopard a few months ago and it was after that that the problem surfaced. It never happpened before. It's odd that it happens with a mouse click. I have the original wired mouse.

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Hi there, I'm sorry for the delay. Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs handy ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have just the OSX snow leopard disc as leopard was on the imac when I purchased it.

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
That is all we need. We can reinstall your OS X with the disc and that should fix the problem as it will replace the old system files with new one. Put the OS X Disc 1 to your Mac. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down C key on your Keyboard. Keep it held down until it boots into the disc. It may take upto 15 minutes to boot into the disc. Once it booted to disc, follow the onscreen to reinstall your Mac OS X. Reinstalling OS X won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the corrupted system files with new one. Let me know how it goes..
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Everytime you offer something to try, I don't respond by rating you yet because my problem is intermittent and is not yet solved. I mentioned up front that it happens about once a week. Well it just happened again tonight. I had reinstalled my Snow Leopard hoping it would be the end of my problem. What else can we try?

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Since reinstall doesn't work, we have to do a fresh install of Mac OS X. That WILL fix the problem unless it is hardware related. Since you said it happens only in web, I believe it is software related.

Backup all your important files to a external hard drive, then boot into the OS X installation disc by holding down C key. After booting into the disc, click on Utilities menu and select Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk and Erase (under Erase tab). Then close it and continue installation. This will install a fresh version of OS X on your Mac. We've tried all other steps so far.

Please let me know if that didn't work and only rate after we solved the problem.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

This is a bit scary for me being non-technical. I do have a "clickfree" brand external back-up which I use so I can back up everything including photos, etc. I am familiar with the Disk Utility window and have seen the erase button. In your instructions, after erase, you say "close it" and continue installation. Do you just mean close the disk utility window? I don't understand what "installation" is to continue. Once erased, do you mean install the back-up? I've not done this before and won't try until tomorrow morning when I'm fresh. What if I mess up and can't do anything? Is there a phone number to call you for help? AHHH!

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Yes, just close Disk Utility and you will be able to move forward i.e you can see a Next button. Click Next...Next....etc and start installation, like you reinstalled before. Once erased, you can install OS X from the disc again to the hard drive, in the same way you reinstalled the OS X before. Don't worry, it is very easy. Boot into disc ---> Erase Hard Drive from Disk Utility ---> Close Disk Utility ---> Click Next...Next....etc---->Done

Sorry, JustAnswer won't allow us to call. It is against the policy. Just copy the bookmark of this or note down the bookmark of this page and you can get back to any time via that bookmark and I will get it touch with you ASAP.

Or login to www.justanswer.com, under "My Questions" section you can find this question. Click it and you can see our conversation from any device and get back to me via that page.

I want you to make sure you backup everything before erasing the hard drive. Let me know how it goes..
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Just one more question - am I to use the original OS X disk I got when I first bought my imac or use the snow leopard one I reinstalled earlier to update the original?

I went out to some mac chat room and saw many people had similar problems with OS X version 10.6.3 which is what I bought to upgrade from leopard to snow leopard. But then I went further to go to 10.6.8. Interesting...

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
You can reinstall from Snow Leopard disc. You don't have to reinstall the original discs and then upgrade. You can directly install the 10.6 Snow Leopard.

10.6.3 and 10.6.8 are Snow Leopard's version (.6,.8 are minor updates). Just do erase and install once you backup everything. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

OK, I finally got up enough nerve to do the erase and reload of OSX. I've got some issues. I don't have iPhoto at all - the application - not in Finder. I do have the individual photos I saved and restored all lumped together not in the nice albums I made. Apparently iPhoto is on the original disks when I purchased the iMac not the upgrade. So do I now have to start all over with the original disks and then upgrade to the OSX 10.6? I downloaded Firefox which I use. I added my mailboxes to my toolbar. I see I lost all my bookmarks - had lots of them and it will take time to re-create them which is a pain. I also see it did not load my MS Office for mac but I can do that as I have the disk I purchased. All my documents were in neat folders and now they are all jumbled together. It will take to to reorganize everything. I'm most concerned about no iPhoto. I'm almost sorry I did this. Any suggestions?

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Hi there, sorry for the delay. Didn't you backup your files like bookmarks, iPhoto Library etc before the erasing the drive. I've already mentioned that the erase and install was going to erase everything. Don't you have backup ?

Re iPhoto, we can reinstall from the discs. Put the disc 1 to your Mac. In finder it will load and bring the contents of the disc. Click Optional installs. Follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie etc

If you have any trouble reinstalling them, please let me know