Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  HNC Computing, CISCO certified technician.

Jumping cursor

When typing, the cursor just pops out of that program. Outlook, Word, Online... I have disabled my trackpad and am using a usb mouse to see if that helps but it doesn't. Very frustrating

Why is this now MAC? It was Computer when I initiated it

Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Can you tell me the make and model of your computer please.

And when did the problem start?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dell X13. I reloaded the system a couple of days ago. then reloaded Office, Quickbooks, Adobe CS6, and PC-Toolds registry mechanic and spyware. System is clean and drivers and programs are up to date. No 'extra' programs laoded at this stage.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
As a test, install this program please.

http://tinyurl.com/lflpyyc

Run it and use this to freeze the touchpad.

Test and Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I know of this fix but hadn't used it. I installed from your link, and restarted computer, but still the same. I can barely type 4 words in Outlook before it skips out of that page.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
And the touchpad is completely not responsive correct?

You cannot use it as you disabled it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I disabled it first up

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but again, have you run my program and made sure the touchpad was not responsive.

That is was in fact disabled.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the touchpad was, and still is, disabled

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

And even when I connect an external keyboard to type, same thing happens

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you do the following

Turn off the computer

Turn it on and hold the Shift button and keep tapping the F8 key, this will boot you into the new advanced “recovery mode”, where you can choose to see advanced repair options.

You will need to click on the Troubleshoot option.

Now select Advanced Options.

Now choose the Windows Startup Settings option

Finally hit the Restart button.

Then a menu will appear, choose Safe Mode and let windows start.

Then test in Safe mode please if you still have the problem and tell me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried that 4 times and it didn't go to recovery mode. Are you sure thats right for W8?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, it is right for windows 8

But you have to be very quick.

Try it this way instead

Press Windows Key + X and choose Command Prompt (admin)

Type in

Bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

hen completed press the Enter key on the keyboard. If you need to cancel the prompt to enter options at startup, simply change Yes to No.

Once completed, please restart your computer, then press F8 to enter setup screen upon startup, then press F4 or 4 to enter safemode.

Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in safe mode but of course now can't open any Office programs - Word or Outlook.
Answering on my phone
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You wont have internet, but you can still open programs and test.

What happens when you open word?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This app can't run on you PC.
And Outlook is looking to validate the license which needs internet
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Which version of Office is this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2010
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, strange as you do not need internet for this to run...

Restart the computer and then go to Control Panel, Programs, Uninstall a Program.

Click on Office, click Change, then Repair

Once done, restart the computer, test office and tell em if the cursor is still jumping please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 words in it jumped out of screen
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I am not sure of the problem, I will opt out for another expert with new ideas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. thank you. DO they automatically pick it up? This problem is all over the web for the last few years with no real fix. Someone must know what it is, its not common to me

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I am Pete, another expert, and I'll be happy to assist further with your question.

It sounds as though your laptop is suffering from certain other programs stealing the focus whilst you are typing.

To fix this will require editing a registry setting. If you are not sure about doing this yourself, it would be advisable to get someone to assist you.

1. Press Win [Windows key] + R on your keyboard.
2. Type regedit.exe in the dialog box and then click OK.
3. Locate the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel registry key by clicking on the (+) icon.
4. Click to select the Desktop key under Control Panel.
5. On the right-hand side of the screen, locate and double-click on the ForegroundLockTimeout DWORD.
6. In the Edit DWORD Value window that appears, set the Value data: field to 30d40.
7. Click OK and then close Registry Editor.
8. Restart your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let me know if that works!

Pete.

Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience: HNC Computing, CISCO certified technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay, I had to go out. yes that seems to work so far. Thank you

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Great! Let me know if you need anything else.
Pete.