Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

How do I correct Entourage eMac "Unknown error 4362", plea

Customer Question

How do I correct Entourage eMac "Unknown error 4362", please?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name is Dustin, And I am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

Good morning, I would like to start off with these two steps.. Hopefully this is enough to resolve the issue, but if this doesnt work, or if you get stuck and cant complete the steps, please send a reply so that I can continue to assist you.

Step 1.

To open Disk Utility, from the Applications folder, open Utilities, and then double-click the Disk Utility icon.

In the column on the left, click your startup disk.

Click the First Aid tab, and then click Repair Disk Permissions. Disk Utility will reset any files and folders with incorrect settings.

Step 2.. ( once step one completes and you see the small progress bar say it is done reparing permissions)

From that link.. We should perform steps 1, 3, and 4 .. But most especially step 4.. The data base repair is the main goal of this operation...

Once complete, let me know if your entourage is working again...

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, but I am still having difficulty. I have completed the process up to and including Repair Disk Permissions, after which I am baffled by what I find pretty impenetrable in the support instructions after Step 2.

I'm closing down at 20.10 hrs. UK time. Shall be at my computer (2003 vintage) at 9.00 hrs tomorrow morning.

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Hello Eric, and my apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

The day you replied ( the 9th ) was a day I took off due to health issues..

Im back at work today, though a little later then I had intended..

These are the next two steps we want to focus on, lets work through them and anywhere you get stuck.. Let me know.

To back up your identity, follow these steps:

1. In the Finder , click Go , and then click Home. Open the Documents folder.
2. Open the Microsoft User Data folder.
3. Open Office 2008 Identifies or Office 2004 Identities folder.
4.Control-click or right-click the "Main Identity" (or your identity name) folder, and then select Duplicate. A copy of the folder is created. If you cannot locate control-click, click File and click Duplicate.
4. Close all the windows.
You have created a backup of your identity (or identities) and are ready to continue.

Note This backup can be used by third-party database recovery software, which generally work better on non-rebuilt identities.

Step 4: Rebuild the database

1. Quit all applications.
2. Hold down the Options (alt) key on the keyboard, and then start Entourage 2008/2004. Do not let go of the Option (alt) key until you see the Database Utility window.
Note You can also browse to the Database Utility by opening the Application folder and then opening the Microsoft Office 2008/2004 folder. Open the Office folder, and then double-click Microsoft Database
3. In the Database Utility window, select the database (Ensure it is the Main Identity selected), click Rebuild database then click Continue.
4. The Rebuilding Main Identify window will open and show the progress. When the operation is completed, you will receive the message "Your database was successfully rebuilt."
5. Click Done . Click Quit then start Entourage and see whether the problem is resolved. If the problem is not resolved, proceed to the next step.

Dustin S.

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.

This is Dustin from JustAnswer..

I just wanted to check back with you to discuss the results of the last steps I sent you.
Did they work for you, did you run into issues?

If the steps were more then your ready to do on your own, for no extra fee I can offer you a screen sharing session, where I can connect to your computer from here, and I can perform the repair steps myself directly on your computer, while you observe..

I hope that this week is going well for you, and I look forward to your reply.

Dustin S.