Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

I have just bought my ipad and I cannot import photos from

I have just bought my ipad and I cannot import photos from an SD card using the lightning to SD card reader. Also I cannot use the email section. All of the rest seems to be OK. I have had a good look at the settings - appears OK. Ivan Todd, New Zealand
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 1 year ago.

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

What I understand is you are not able to import photos onto the iPad, correct?

Are all the photos currently in the computer or are they still in the SD card?

Also, could you please explain what is the issue with your email on iPad?

Thank you
Vinod
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The photos are still on the SD card. Nothing happens when I insert the connecter into the ipad socket. I have tried several SD cards.

I have created a contact list,entered a contact and when I attempt to put text into the message box, a tap on the pencil does not make a curser line but just deletes the contact.

Thanks, Ivan.

Thank you, Ivan.

Here's the process of transferring the photos into the ipad.

Open itunes in the computer and connect the ipad. If you don't have itunes installed yet, you can download and install it from

www.apple.com/itunes/download

Open itunes and connect the ipad to the computer. Now, your ipad name would be listed in itunes (somewhere to the top right corner).

Click on the ipad name. Now, to the middle of the screen, you will find tabs such as summary, music, info, photos, apps etc

Click on the photos tab there and select "sync photos from" and in the drop down box next to it, select "choose folder". Now select the folder in your SD card. If it does not give that option, transfer all photos into your computer first from the SD card, and select that location.

Now click on apply/sync at the bottom. This should transfer photos from the SD card to the ipad.

Regarding your email issue: Let's try a reset first. Press and hold the power button and the home button together until you see an apple logo.

Let me know whether that resolves your issue.

Let me know if you find any difficulty.

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have downloaded itunes to the computer, have a receipt but cant open it and nothing appears on the ipad.

Have tried re-set but this does not fix the email problem.

Thanks.

Do you have the iTunes icon on the computer desktop? If not, you may not have installed iTunes. Which browser do you use for accessing the Internet? Firefox, Internet explorer, chrome, safari etc
I am not sure whether you have installed iTunes. Lets go to

www.apple.com/itunes/download

Click on "download now" button there. This will start the download. If you are using Internet explorer to download the file, it will ask you whether to run the file. Click on "run". Once completed, it will again ask you to run the file. Once that is done, you will have an iTunes icon on your desktop.

If you are using Firefox/chrome instead, it will directly save the file. You will have to click on that saved file to start the install process.

Let me know once you have the iTunes icon on your desktop. I will walk you through the next steps. If you still can't get iTunes to download, let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I now have Itunes on my desktop and have loaded an album to the ipad. I still am unable to load a folder from the SD card.

Unable also to be able to type an email message

Thanks again, Ivan

Lets restore the iPad to factory settings. When you connect the iPad to the computer, your iPad name would be listed in iTunes, to the top right corner. Click on it, an now to the middle of the screen, you will find a restore button. Restore it.

After the restore, try to import the photos by clicking on the "photos" tab in iTunes and then selecting "sync photos" and in the drop down box next to it, select "choose folder"

If it is not allowing you to select from your sd card, copy the photos from your SD card to a folder into your computer and try to sync that folder.

Let me know whether this resolves the issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The restore suggests an 11 hour download. Is this correct?

that is too long...:(

Are you having a low speed internet connection?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it's always slow here especially in some rural areas . I have succeeded in sending an email using the contact list but cannot repeat the act. Neither can I find the mail box. Should it appear in "messages".

I do have itunes on the desk top. I have downloaded a photo folder, using the computer but again not with the SD card.

Hi Ivan

Sorry for the delay. It was way past midnight here when you replied and I had gone offline.

I checked this with my iphone and it seems that is how it should function. I am also not able to transfer photos directly from the SD card onto the device. I need to transfer photos from the SD card onto a folder in the computer and then transfer from there.

So if you are able to transfer photos from the computer folder, it should be OK.

Regarding mailboxes, open mail. On some ipads, you should be having the mailboxes to the left column. If not, you will see a backward pointing arrow to the top left corner of the ipad. Click on it and it should take you to the mailboxes section.

If your Internet is too slow, I would recommend taking it into an apple store nearby. So if it requires a restore, they can do it from their end.

Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your patience. A mail icon has appeared at centre bottom on the screen. So that one is fixed. Regarding the SD card, I now realise that it will load only photos taken from the camera. When I first used my iPad, I loaded 600 photos into the computer and then from the computer to the iPad. These I can't delete and I wish that I could start from the beginning again as this has used a major part of the memory. I have been away so hence the late reply.

Thanks again, Ivan.
I understand. Unfortunately, the ios device does not allow you to directly import the photo from an SD card.
If you have an external drive, try copying the photos into it and then try to load the photos from there onto the ipad. That can help you reduce the memory usage on your computer.

Thank you for your patience. If you have any difficulty, please reply and I am more than happy to help you.

Also, if we are done, I would appreciate if you can rate my service. If you have any questions regarding the iOS device or itunes, you can ask me directly through the following link

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-vinod-menon/

Thank You
Vinod
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience: worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products