John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

Hi I have exactly the same problem as you answered in http://www.justanswer.com/mac-comp

Hi I have exactly the same problem as you answered in
http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/735sf-cannot-find-hard-drive-disk-utility-erasing.html

i erased the disc and now there is no hard drive to use as startup disk.

i have an imac 27 in i7 quad core mid 2011 , in system report i can see the 2tb data drive and it is disk02

but when in disk utility i can verify disk and verify disk but nothing with the permissionns.
i am running 10.8.3 but was originally lion.

please help i am trying to boot in target mode but also cannot , i
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 10 months ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

To clarify, you are booting from an external drive and NOT off the internal drive, correct?

Also, you mention erasing the internal hard drive. Is it your wish to re-install OS X to this drive?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Yes,

i just wanted to "factory reset "to sell and then after looking in more detail at the specs decided I would do a fresh install of the ox.

I used disk utilty and chose erase free space no the internal hard drive ( 2tb) it took hours and It didnt look like it had worked at the time then when i switched on it would not load so i rebooted to disk utility .

i want to reinstall the Ox but the only startup disk I was given was recovery HD ' LOCKED " and no 2tb internal hard drive.

i checked through about this mac and it is reading the hard drive.

I then booted the computer from usb external and is working fine but i still cannot do anythinhg through disk utilty to get the imac toview the internal hard drive , i have just connected to a macbook pro running 10.8.3 through thunderbolt and now ( first time i have done this ) is showing me a grey screen with a thundrbolt sign

Thanks, Anthony.

Please Restart your iMac and hold down the OPTION key. You should get a listing of bootable volumes in your computer. Is Recovery HD currently listed as one?

I should add, that you may need to disconnect the external drive. If you are running 10.8.3 from the external then it likely has it's own Recovery HD volume, as well.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes it does so i will remove hard drive and try again

Thanks, I'll be here!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

how do i investigate the hard drive on the macbook pro im connected to i dont see in finder?

Wait. Which computer has the drive you erased? The iMac or the MacBook Pro? You didn't mentioned the MBP specifically in the original message.

If it is the MBP that no longer has OS X installed then that is the one I'd like you to try booting with the OPTION key held down.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no sorry its just driving me crazy and i was writing fast.

the iMac 27 inch is the one that i erased the drive.

i have now connected through thunderbolt in target disk mode to the mpb and through disk utility i can see it as Macintosh HD ( SUBFOLDER) but not the actual hard drive folder .

it once again gives me 2 options verify disk & repair. i verified , then it came up with the error this drive needs to be repaired.

ok so i started repair and now my MBP has frozen it seems

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I dont know if this helps but i migrated my user from this imac 27 inch to the 2013 21 inch imac , will there be a backup of my recvery hd in there?

i see what you mean now though i booted my MBP and pressed option and there was the 2 options macintosh hd (mbp ) and recovery hd ( mbp)

No worries I can understand your frustration.

User migration does not copy the Recovery HD.

However, with nothing connected to the iMac, what happens when you restart your iMac and press and hold down the OPTION key for at least a minute or two?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

it will take me to the screen giving me only macintosh hd as option , i click and it brings up my old login screen ( i have just realised you can not see the screenshots i sent

it gives me 2 users

1 . my user that i always used with this imac and

2 . another user with no name that says update needed .

if i go to enter and then add my password XXXXX ends up grey screen and no entry sign

What is the version of OS X installed on this iMac?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

10.8.4 mountain lion

Okay, if this iMac recieved the right firmware upgrade previously then you may be able to repair it using Internet recovery.

Restart your Mac and hold down the Command key and the R key (Command-R), and keep holding them until the Apple icon appears, indicating that your Mac is starting up.

After the Recovery System is finished starting up, you should see a desktop with a OS X menu bar and a "Mac OS X Utilities" application window.

Let me know if you make it this far...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

im here at os x utilities

Great!

...and it's my understanding you would like to erase and re-install OS X, correct?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

if i can restore and start from fresh but if not and i can restore from time machine backup and get the hard drive working again ok

Since you made it to the Mac OS X Utilities screen then you should be able to get it up and running with a fresh install for sale.

Choose Disk Utility from the available options Mac OS X Utilities screen.

In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar (usually "Macintosh HD") and then choose the "Partition" tab.

Under Volume Scheme, click "Current" and choose "1 Partition".

Name your hard drive on the right side (usually "Macintosh HD") and choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format.

Click options and verify GUID partition table is selected and click OK.

Now click Apply.

Once the process has completed, exit Disk Utility.

In order to reinstall OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion, you will need to be connected to an Ethernet or Wi-Fi network. The Wi-Fi menu item is in the upper-right corner of the screen. Click the icon to display all available Wi-Fi networks. Click your preferred network name and, if needed, enter a username and/or password.

Then on the Mac OS X Utilities screen, choose to Install or Re-Install OS X.

It should lead you along after that and complete the installation.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

but i cant make any changes to the disk as the options are greyed out , this was my original question.

i know how to get to this os x utilities but i cannot install as i cannot change the partition

I want to clarify, the screen you see when you first boot using Command-R on the iMac looks like this, correct?

graphic

Then you start Disk Utility...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes ,

this screen i know how to get to ,

i then connect to wifi network and go to re install mountain lion ,

i agree and the computer checks for eligibility then it comes to the screen...

where it asks where you would like to install mountain lion.

there is only one option ' Recovery HD" But is greyed out and when i click it says this disk is locked.

i go back to disk utilty and click on Macintosh hD - Go to partition where everything is greyed out except verify and repair disk . it does state that this partition contains a locked disk and cannot be resized till its unlocked.

does this have anything to do with filevault and encryption keys?

In Disk Utility, try selecting the physical drive listed directly above the "Macintosh HD" volume instead of choosing Macintosh HD itself, such as in the example here:

graphic

Can you then select to erase or partition the drive? If not, and FileVault is at play you have to first mount the volume you want to erase. Disk utility will ask you for your FileVault password XXXXX unlock the volume. After that it should be able to erase/partition the disk IF that is the issue.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I SUDDENLY CANNOT ACCESS THIS SITE , ACCESS DENIED THROUGH MY WIRELESS CONNECTION , SO I HAD TO LOGIN TO ANOTHER SERVER , WHY IS THIS.

The original problem was that the physical hard drive is not showing up above the macintosh HD , this is why i am facing the problem.

I want to know how to unlock this so i can see the physical hard drive and mount it .

its a bit strange that suddenly i cant access your site

Anthony I have no idea why you may have trouble accessing the site. I log in from remote, similar to you, and am not having an issue currently. However, I'm not an employee of JustAnswer so can't access server details to see if there is an issue on their end.

This is not a matter of simply unlocking the drive. There is no official mechanism for locking the drive that would make the physical drive unavailable.

Do you see ANYTHING at all listed above Macintosh HD? Can you describe all the items listed in the disk utility sidebar at the left?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

nothing above Macintosh HD ( THE ONLY TIME I COULD SEE THE HARD DRIVE WAS THROUGH ABOUT THIS MAC)

On the left there is

Macintosh HD

Superdrive ( Greyed Out)

-------------------------------------------

disk 1

subfolder Mac OS X Base System

When you select Macintosh HD, can you tell me what information it gives at the bottom of the window (Name, Type, Capacity, used, etc.....)?

Also, please go up to the "Utilities" menu at the very top of the screen and choose Terminal.

Type

diskutil CoreStorage list

and press enter

then tell me what it says.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

name: Macintosh HD

TYPE: Logical volume group

Disk status: Online

then to the right side

capacity : 2tb ( 19xxxxxxxx) bytes

available: 2tb ( 1999xxxxx) bytes

used: 31.8 mb.

i think the problem is i need to unlock the gard drive but cant find where to do this

No, it's not a matter of unlocking. Locking does not remove the physical drive listing from Disk Utility. There is no mechanism for this. You have a problem with the drive, corruption of some sort with CoreStorage is likely if it is software related.

Please go up to the "Utilities" menu at the very top of the screen and choose Terminal.

Type

diskutil CoreStorage list

and press enter

then tell me what it says, specifically any info related to a Logical Volume Group for the name Macintosh HD.

Thanks,

Okay, it's coming on the end of my shift and I don't want to leave you hanging.

However, based on the information you supplied, I think you need to do the following;

Type

diskutil CoreStorage list

and press enter

You should get a screen similar to this:

graphic

Note the long string in the red box that is next to Logical Volume Group with the name Macintosh HD. This is called the UUID.

Next type

diskutil CoreStorage delete UUID

(where "UUID" is replaced with the string you identified)
and press enter/return.

Once the CoreStorage volume has been deleted, you should be able to return to Disk Utility and format the hard drive. You may or may not have to restart the system and return to the Recovery HD partition first (Command-R at startup).

In Disk Utility, select your normal, physical hard drive from the list in the sidebar and then choose the "Partition" tab.

Now click Apply.

Then on the Mac OS X Utilities screen, choose to Re-Install OS X.

If you run into additional issues, reply back and I will try to check my email for the next hour or so.

After that I will return tomorrow (Thursday) around noon ET (GMT-5).

Good luck!
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Howdy!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this or other issues, please let me know.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

John You are a star i got everything working perfect after the cores services terminal command.

Great help!

You are very welcome!

I enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can be reached directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/