Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I use Grabold for $20/mo to get Canadian tv shows that dont

Customer Question

I use Grabold for $20/mo to get Canadian tv shows that don't make it to the US. It works like a charm until this week. Now it hangs on login to the point I have to do a force quit every time. Reinstalled 3X but no joy. There have to be some kind of prefs files that are corrupt but I can't find anything. I am hoping there is someone out there who is familiar with the app and knows how to do a clean uninstall. If that doesn't work is it possible my ISP has blocked my use of it? It does not appear to be the usual bittorrent illegal setup at all. I am very frustrated since I have tons of mac self service experience, since 1990!! This one has me stumped. HELP?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

I am not familiar with that app but more often than not it comes to maintenance.
I also have used Macs since 1989 and was a certified Apple Genius, retired.

I am assuming that you have repaired permissions, rotated logs and SafeBooted with a pram reset.
You do not say what version of OS X you have or if you have recently updated.
If you fill me in on details about your Mac I may have some ideas.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, it's a MacBook Pro,

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 with 8GB RAM and I boot from a fast external FW800 drive running the latest in Mountain Lion. I have repaired permissions without result. I do not know how to do the next two things you list because the need has never arisen. Rotate Logs...please explain that one and remind me how to safe boot. I believer the PRAM reset is Shift Option Command P R all at once, yes? Do you think the prefs may be hidden in the Library instead of the user library? or in the System Library?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Command-Option, P,R no shift and 4 chimes.
SafeBoot is Shift only on restart.
I use this widget to do the logs and permissions, saves some steps.

Maintenance Widget

If you have the means to reinstall use this utility to uninstall it.

AppZapper - The uninstaller Apple forgot.

This explains the logs well.

Running Mac OS X Maintenance Scripts

The widget does this without the hassle. Also these usually run automatically if you do not shut the MBP off and let it run. I never turn mine off, they run 24/7.

Give that a try and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK thank you! I downloaded the widget and printed the links to PDF. I will take me a little time, but I will get back to you!!

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Standing by for reports, do not hurry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I forgot I have an appt I must leave for now. Is it okay if I get back to you tonight or noonish tomorrow MST? I'm in Tucson, AZ

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Sure, I am in no hurry. Whenever it is convenient for you. I may not reply right away because I am helping others but I will watch for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks!

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Talk then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well the widget is not working for me. It says my system password (which is that? The master password XXXXX under users and groups?) I used that one and it didn't work. Neither did my normal password.

THe app zapper worked, but a new download of the .dmg for Grabold failed to install...I am beginning to lose it here. I did contact billing (which has no record of them billing me monthly, which of course they are) and support at Grabold when I found them and they are trying to help. It is beginning to become a terrtifyingly stupid waste of time and money... not your fault but what is the system password XXXXX how is it established?

all that's left is the safe boot and probably running Drive Genius on the boot drive by using a different boot drive...

Is it bedtime yet??

Headache just became a migraine...

Gary

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
That is your user password, it was established when you setup the Mac the first time.
It is something that can be reset providing certain requirements are met.
One being an Apple/iTunes account.
This is also useful.
Or

The top one will most likely be the best for you.
I am assuming that you automatically log in each time you startup, correct?
If not then the password XXXXX use to authorize updates is the one it is asking for.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No Joy. Used my apple pw for updating app store purchases. I use "return" for my normal software installation since it comes up too often to bother since I am the only user...that doesn't work either. This is a nightmare. I hope I don't have to reinstall Mountain Lion again!!

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
That forgotten password XXXXX XXXXX very important password.
That will help a lot,

This is the part you want.
  1. Open System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.
  2. To bind an Apple ID to your OS X user account, click the Apple ID: "Set…" button and enter a Apple ID name and password, or click the "Create Apple ID…" to create a new Apple ID using Safari.
  3. Select the "Allow user to reset password XXXXX Apple ID" check box.
Now you can reset the user password.
I suggest writing it down where you can find it, you will need it again.

It is possible that you do not or did not set a password, bad idea that.
Try that and let me know.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just realized that my laptop won't generate sound through the speakers after all the widgets running and safe booting... If I use headphones or a line out from the same port to speakers. no problem, but nada if nothing is

plugged into the headphone port. I checked the sound prefs and get no way to control the volume (grayed out) if the headphones are not plugged in...Since I use music creation programs I also checked the audio/midi setup and sound to make sure it wasn't left set on my direct in box or anything else like Soundflower and it isn't. Since I use earphones or external speakers 90% of the time, it isn't a huge deal, but I don't rest easy when something doesn't do what it should. If this rings a bell, great. I don't have enough $$ to pay more and got my money's worth as it is. If it sounds like a whole new dialog to you, I will try to figure it out on my own. BTW, the widget required a password XXXXX since I am the only user on the laptop, I had bypassed since it's so intrusive most of the time. I am stuck with a simple one now just to run the widget, but hate the pw question coming up so often. I'm hoping I can turn it on and off to use the widget once a day. Make sense? Feel free to say we are finished, though. Thanks for your sticking with me over that long journey!

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
What has happened is a tiny switch has stuck in the open position in the headphone port.
Look in the port hole, there should be a small red light showing, this is for digital out carried on an optical cable.

The fix is simple, usually.
Plug the headphone jack in and out and wiggle it (gently), may take a few times but it should unstick the switch.

You should also see in the System Prefs/Sound output that digital is selected, once the switch closes it will again work with the speakers.

Try that and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No red light, but the wiggling must have worked.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX!

BTW, if I want your help in the future, can I use the link in your sign off? I would start a new payment of course.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Glad to hear it, that happens from time to time.

Yes Gary, you can use that link, if you like you can add it to your favorites.