Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

iMovie crashes when I try to share to iDVD, iTunes or Media

iMovie crashes when I try to share to iDVD, iTunes or Media Browser
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.7.5

2.8 HHz i5

4GB 1333MHz DDR3

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is ok.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions? If so:

Quit all apps, then open Terminal copy and paste this line and then hit Return. Try iMovie after:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iMovieApp.plist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I get to Terminal Line, I restarted after verificationbtw

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Go to Applications / Utilities double click Terminal.app
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It says it does not exist, I deleted them earlier. BTW, I cannot cut and paste, I am using two computers. One to communicate with you the other is the one with the issue.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
What version of iMovie?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It says: No such file or directory

I went into library and deleted the plist for iMovieApp yesterday

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes but what version of iMovie are you using? If you ran iMovie since you deleted the Preference file it should have been recreated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

iMovie 11

I ran the terminal several times, if I have a space between rm and the squiggly line it goes back to the terminal, no space and it says no such file or directory

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Right... the space is correct and when there is no error message that means it worked. Open iMovie and go to iMovie / About iMovie, what is the exact version number listed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

9.0.9

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK does this happen with ALL Projects or just one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It worked last week with another project, I just tried it on a smaller project and it worked fine.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK try a new project too. If that also works then there is a problem with that particular Project. I suggest you try removing items from the project one by one to find out what is causing the project. You can Duplicate the project first.

Maybe try removing all the audio to see if it crashes. Then try the video, then the pictures.

This will help you distinguish if it is the audio, video or pictures that are the project.

Then when you find out which one is causing the problem you can start narrowing it down further.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.