Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

My Mac book pro is freezing up and giving me the spinning beach

My Mac book pro is freezing up and giving me the spinning beach ball.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Processor 306 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)

I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Disk was repaired successfully.
OK and then you Repaired Permissions? Restart and let me know if the problem persists.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The problem continues.
Does this happen at random or when in certain apps or when you do certain things?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It seems to be random.

Go here and download Maintenance for your system version, install it, run it and follow directions then check all boxes and click on Execute. Restart after.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, my Internet service was down.

The download maintenance seems to have fixed the problem of my computer freezing up.

Thanks a lot Mike.

Great! Kindly Accept with Ok or above if you are satisfied. Thanks!!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you!!!