Tom
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college
15873684

cant find temp filesworked on email

Customer Question

are you there?

cant find temp files worked on email attachement and accidentally saved to temp files

i just tried

.user/ljm/documents/microsoftusers data/office 2011/identities/lucy sept 9/rebuild outlook/data records/ot/ob/om/17k/x26_17595.olk14MSGATTACH

Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hello Lucy and thanks for using justanswer.com

What OS are you running? ie. 10.7.2 or 10.8.2

If you click on the Apple icon in the top left and choose about this mac. It will tell you the version number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.8.3

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Click on the face icon on the left-hand side of your dock

Click on Go at the very top and Hold down the option key on your keyboard.

There will now be a choice for Library under Home.

Click on Library, then open caches temporaryitems and outlook temp

Let me know if you find the documents here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can see the file when I click on t he origanl attachment

but i can t get to the temp folder

the outlook te mp folder is ejmpty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have not found the temp file yet. do i have to rate so far? or will you keep helping me/

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hello unfortunately Outlook deletes the temp file when it is closed. I'm checking to see if there is another way to recover. Please hold for a minute
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
There isn't a way to recover the file without using third party software at this point.

There is something called Data Rescue that has a demo mode. Don't purchase it. You can use the link below to download. You will also need a second drive. Either a usb flash drive or an external hard drive. Let me know if you have the second drive and downloaded the software.

http://www.prosofteng.com/downloads/download.php?prodID=78
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

waiting for your instructions

can only recover 1 file so want to make sure we do it right

READY for next step

. . .

downloading trial now

FInsihed download

Next?

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Plug in your flash drive or external hard drive

Open Data Rescue. Click Start New Scan

Select your hard drive

Click Next

Click on Quick Scan. Which is the first hard drive icon on the left

Click Start. IF it asks you for workspace. Click on your external drive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it wants to erase my memory stick... leaving to go get one at the store I rewrote the doc i lost but still have to find a way to find m y docs if i accidentally work on a file sent via email.. will get back to you and pay you with the highest recommendation if you can help me figure this out.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
ok let me know if you are successful. If you keep Outlook open the files will stay.
I would keep it open if you are using a lot of files from email as a precaution and then quit when you are sure they are saved elsewhere.

If the quickscan doesn't work. You will have to use the Deleted Files scan which will take some time since it scans the complete hard drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok back on line now.

will try deleted files.

the scan (qucik scan) did not t urn up my files

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
ok hopefully it will find it. The deleted files definately takes sometime