John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

I dont now what I did, but my iPhoto app is corrupted not

I don't now what I did, but my iPhoto app is corrupted not the library. In iPhoto manager I get this (The operation could not be completed because a timeout occurred while launching iPhoto). I can't reinstall iphoto because it came with this 07 macbook pro, and I only upgraded since then. I have a time machine back up, but I have never gotten them to restore well. I really want the pics (2,000) stored on other media, not the computer and not the internet. Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.8.3

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Irene.

Can you tell me the version of iPhoto installed?

In the Finder, click the Go menu and choose Applications.

Locate the iPhoto app and Control-click or right-click on the icon and choose Get Info.

It should list a Version.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't open iPhoto, but I found the version. 9.4.3. One more oddity is is the Pictures folder, only the recent pictures I have scanned in are listed. Nothing else, and it used to be correct, long before last night mess happened.

All of a sudden this computer is beach ball spinning too. SLOW. I know it is old, but..... I am on my iPad now.

THANKS
BEANS
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Irene.

What error do you get, if any, when trying to open iPhoto?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You can’t open the application “iPhoto.app” because it may be damaged or incomplete.

On the dock it has a NO symbol on top of iphoto icon

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again.

How did you last update iPhoto? Was it through the Mac App Store?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, first let's make sure the system files on your Mac are in good shape and that you have no corruption or permissions issues:

Shutdown your Mac.

Restart and, as soon as you hear the startup chime, hold COMMAND + R keys until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator (Alternative: press the “OPTION” key at boot and select the “Recovery HD" option in the menu).

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL)

Choose Disk Utility from the available options.

In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar (usually "Macintosh HD").

Then, Click "Repair Disk"

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Then, restart your Mac and it should boot back into your normal Desktop.

When you are back at the desktop, in the Finder, click the GO menu item in the menu bar at the top of the screen and choose Applications.

Locate the iPhoto app and move it to the trash. Then, make sure you empty the Trash.

Drag the iPhoto icon out of the Dock if it is still there, as well.

Next open the Mac App Store.

Choose "Purchases" from the toolbar at the top of the window.

You should see "iPhoto" in the listing of purchased apps. Click "Install" next to it.

Once the installation has completed, try running iPhoto. Hopefully, your issue should be resolved.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. iPhoto is back up. Pictures are in it.

I still have no pictures in the Picture folder, though, and is that not where they can be uploaded from. Don't they ned to be in that folder?

Also, if you could just tell me how to speed this mac up and stop the beach ball, I can do it myself. I kust do not remember how to do it?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Your iPhoto Library file should be in the Pictures folder. That is where iPhoto will store all photos. Do you see this file?