John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

I have recently been having trouble with what I have named

I have recently been having trouble with what I have named a "flying cursor!" I will be typing along and suddenly my cursor has flown completely away from the line of type to a different spot of its own choosing as if it had a mind of its own. I can never trust it to stay in line, and this constant having to retrieve it and correct the resultant errors is driving me crazy. Have you ever heard of this, and if so, what can be done about it?
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, John. It says 10.06.8.

Thanks, Sally.

...and can you tell me what year you purchased the MB Air?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was purchased in December of 2010.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

John, do you need more information?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

John, it has been such a long time since I heard from you. Is there something wrong? My questions have never taken this long before.

Hi Sally. By the time you replied back I had started my evening break which is longer on Tuesdays due to family commitments. I should be back online in approximately 60 mins.

Hi Sally, sorry for the delay in replying. My grandmother is in her mid 90's and Tuesday evening are the only time I get to see her with any regularity.

Back to your issue; Older versions of OS X had a feature to "Ignore accidental trackpad input" to prevent what it appears like you are experiencing. This trackpad option usually no longer appears in System Preferences and the functionality for "Ignore accidental trackpad input" is enabled automatically, by default for computers such as yours BUT this differs on a model by model basis.

You can verify this is the case by going into System Preferences -> Trackpad and looking for the option to "Ignore accidental trackpad input" near the bottom of the screen if present. If it is by chance there, make sure it is checked.

Another obscure oddity is that certain oil or hand lotions can actually effect the trackpad and cause erratic behaviour such as this even when you are not touching it. If you think this may be the case, you can clean the trackpad with wipes intended for LCD computer displays.

If the above do not seem to cure the problem, please try the following;

Restart the Mac

As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the following keys;

Hold them until you hear the chime a second time and then release the keys and allow the Mac to boot normally.

Shut down the Mac once more.

Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

Press the power button to turn on the Mac.

See if you experience the same issue.

If you do, please reply back and let me know. Also, let me know if you still have your original OS X 10.6 Install thumb drive available.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, John.

You are very welcome! Please let me know how it goes.