Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Have iMac i7 quad4 When using Chrome browser tabs are "untitled",

Customer Question

Have iMac i7 quad4 When using Chrome browser tabs are "untitled", url is filled out, window below is white. Same thing when switching tabs: url filled out correctly but nothing in untitled tab and white space fills the window. (Safari & Firefox work fine). Next, tried to download well-known software and it errors out neither Disk Image Mounter nor The Unarchiver can open it. These issues may be related. I have run repair permissions. Thoughts? tyvm
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

What OS are you running? ie. 10.7.2 or 10.8.2

If you click on the Apple icon in the top left and choose about this mac. It will tell you the version number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63) first reply was within 7 minutes because I was NEW, have been staring at the computer because you said you would help now, not to go anywhere. I am still waiting. I appreciate your help. Almost an hour, is that okay punishment?

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about the delay. It's difficult when you can't download dmg's. I needed to find a different way

Go to the following link and download a Application called Oynx

http://snk.to/f-c7cjazz6

Once downloaded, Open the app and Click on Maintenance and Rebuilt. Check LaunchServices and dyld shared cache.

Click on Execute.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Startup volume OK but that's it, won't accept my Administrator pswd, though it is common, I'm following directions for OnyX
Their first direction is command R which does not reset on my unit
Gad zooks
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Did you do the following?

Open the app and Click on Maintenance and Rebuilt. Check LaunchServices and dyld shared cache.

Click on Execute.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not able to access Onyx as it won't accept my administrator password. It gave me a list of things to do to get my administrator password changed to include going into code to make changes. These directions will take a lot of time but their first direction is to use command R to begin resetting administrator password which doesn't work. At. Least this downloaded successfully which is a first today!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Monday, June 03, 2013 8:40 PM PST

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if your able to reinstall by doing the following

Restart Computer
Then hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys while the computer restarts.

If you’re not connected to the Internet, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu in the right corner of the menu bar (in the top-right corner of the screen).

Select Reinstall Mac OS X, and then click Continue.

Follow the onscreen instructions. In the pane where you select a disk, select your current Mac OS X disk (in most cases, it is the only one available).

To start the installation, click Install.

If you do not get any screens. You will need to create a Lion Recovery Disk. Apple has directions here.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4848
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
I have to log off right now. Please let me know how the reinstallation goes. I'll be back online at 9am eastern standard time. If you want to keep working on this. Respond back and I can open this up to another expert.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to reset administrator password finally and reboot. OnyX doesn't like it and has another set of instructions to reset it in the system manually. Beyond belief. I hope OnyX is worthwhile!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Later since the above post:
At this point I have done everything OnyX asked, my reset password is not recognized. And there is no OnyX error they wanted me to check.

In a couple of hours Lion will be installed perhaps that will help. So we will pick this up in the morning when you come in for coffee. Thank you. I feel like I'm back in a PC.
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
After it's done installing. Click on the Apple icon in the top left and choose software update. Run all the updates.

If your password still does not work, let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. updates complete

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

off to reload Onyx

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Try opening a dmg file that you have or download a new one. This is a link to chrome dmg. Let me know if it opens

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Chrome working

Able to download software product and installer opened and all is wonderful.

so did not use OynX

thank you, Tom

Don't get old. I felt like I was dealing with a grumpy 8088 last night.

Consider this ticket resolved

Customer

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Great. Thanks for the good rating. Please come back again.