Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment

My Mac boots up to a screen with a greenish tint and after

Customer Question

My Mac boots up to a screen with a greenish tint and after then system loads it boots to a gray screen and it just stays there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

What type of mac do you have, a imac, powermac, macbook pro, mac air ?

Also roughly what year did you purchase it, and what version of mac osx does it have on it?

10.6 10.7 10.8 ? ( snow leoapard, Lion, Mountain Lion )

Thanks,

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is a MacBook Pro A1286. Purchased in 2011, I think.

It is running Mountain Lion.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Lets try something simple first..

If this doesnt work, please send a reply and I will continue to assist you as needed..

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Once that is complete, let the mac start... If it still wont start normally, or if your screen is still tinted..

Please try this next

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

Wll that allow you to boot and start the mac ?

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I reset the PRAM, or whatever it is before and did it again. The screen boot up with the green tint and after the system started loading (the spinning gear thing), it booted to a gray screen and stayed there.

I restarted the computer and held the shift key as instructed. A progress bar started loading and afterwards the spinning gear popped up it booted to a blue screen with vertical black stripes. It is stuck there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
He is offline now. I waited almost an hour with no response.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the delays in getting back to you. It wasnt intentional on my end.

Lets try a recovery.

Shut down the mac .

hold down Command and R , start the mac..

Does it take you to a recovery screen? if so, try either internet recovery, or standard ( non internet ) recovery..

Either of these, will not erase the personal files on your mac.

What we dont want to do is erase your disk, and then install.. So dont choose that option.. ( as that will erase any personal files on your mac )

The page below discusses the recovery process in detail.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167870/hands_on_with_mountain_lions_os_x_recovery_and_internet_recovery.html

If you run into further issues, please let me know.

Dustin S.