Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.

the dock on my MacBook Air has totally evaporated. I was,

the dock on my MacBook Air has totally evaporated. I was, previously, being able to get it by putting the 'pointer' up on the APPLE, then pulling down to dock, then dock preferences. Now, no apple sign, so no fiddling with the dock preferences.
Good morning and thank you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you, I will need additional clarification. Are you stating that your finder menu is missing?

Customer:

If the finder menu is one that upens up if I drag down on the apple logo, yes, it's missing. What's really missing and impossible to find is the apple sign.

Appleologist :

The apple logo is what I was referring to. You may need to force restart your machine to get it back. Before we do that, click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in system preferences. If that is also missing, let me know

Customer:

no magnifying glass

Appleologist :

Ok, lets force shut down. Bookmark our chat so you can return after your machine starts back up again. (or you can click on the link sent from Just Answer in your email) Press and hold the power button on your computer (located in the upper right corner of your keyboard) Press and hold the power button for 15 secs or until your machine powers off. Then press the power button again to turn it on

Customer:

Thanks. I can't bookmark as I have no control panels. The link you refer to is what's in the very top, center long type it in area?

Appleologist :

Yes, the link within your email. The shortcut to bookmark is pressing Command+D If that does not work, clicking the link within your email will

Customer:

Odd, whenever you send me an email, the apple logo shows up. I can now get it to show again by going to the grey area in the left top corner.

Appleologist :

Go a head and force shut down your machine then

Customer:

super duper, the dock is back. I do apologise to you as I did ask you this very same question last week. The fix was temporary

Appleologist :

No need for apologies. You may also want to check if your machine is up to date. Click on the apple logo and select software update to see if you have any available

Customer:

clicking right now. I just installed something called 'digital camera RAW'. That was the only update offered

Appleologist :

That would not pertain to your entire operating system but it is always good to be up to date

Customer:

So, now the dock is back. What do I need to do now?

Customer:

permanently?

Customer:

what steps should I take to correct the dock disappearing in the future.

Appleologist :

There is nothing more that needs to be done. Is sounds like your finder was actually frozen which is why your settings did not stick after you changed them

Customer:

Angel, I thank you.

Appleologist :

Im sorry, we are having system issues so you are not able to see my responses or they may be delayed

Appleologist :

You are very welcome

Appleologist :

Have a fantastic rest of your day

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.