Tom
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college
15873684

iMac 20 inch Mid 2007 OSX 10.8.3 (12D78) Processor 26Hz Intel

iMac 20 inch Mid 2007
OSX 10.8.3 (12D78)
Processor 26Hz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 5 Dram
Freezing up mostly while using Safari or FireFox but occasionaly just the desktop. I have to restart the computer. My email isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Thanks for your help.
AM
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

Did you do any updates recently or installed hardware or software?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. I updated to OSX 10 last year about this time.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Try starting your computer using safe boot. This performs some system maintenance.

To perform a safe boot do the following:

• Be sure the computer is shut down.
• Press the power button.
• Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key.
• Tip: The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone but not before.
• Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

Restart the computer

Also do the following:

Please repair permissions:

Click on the picture of a face all the way on the left-hand side of your dock.
Click Go all the way at the Top and Choose Utilities
Open Disk Utility
Select your startup disk on the left of the Disk Utility window
Select First Aid from the tabs
Click the "Repair Disk Permissions" button

Let me know how it goes and if you notice an improvement in your browsers and Desktop.
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did what you said and would like to monitor what happens for a day or so before closing out the question. Is that OK?

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
yes definately monitor it and let me know how it goes. I'll be here if you need further assistance with this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So far so good. Thank you for the help.