Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Recently changed from POP to IMAP email accounts with Mail

Recently changed from POP to IMAP email accounts with Mail 6.3. They worked perfectly as POP accounts. However as IMAP accounts they send/receive but the familiar "triangle" in Mail indicates that there is a connection problem. Went to the Apple store today and they don't have a solution. Phoned support as I host my domains on a VPS and they have no solution.

I have changed settings/ports etc but have made no progress. Have you ever heard of a challenge like this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If the accounts send and receive ok are you saying the only problem is the triangle and error message? Not sure what you mean by "hosts" domains there are registrars for domains but "hosting" email accounts and websites can be a totally different company. Can you clarify?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Host was a verb in the sentence. I wanted you to know that I have a VPS with apollohosting where we host many or our domains vs a gmail account for example.

The accounts send and receive "OK" which means they work much of the time but are not always quick to receive.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I see so apollohosting is not just your web host but they also host the email accounts? They don't necessarily have to be the same company that is what I am trying to determine?

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

v 10.8.3

2.8 GHb intel Core 2 Duo

8 Gb 1067 MHz DDR3

apollohosting hosts the domains and the email. I use a Plesk Contral Panel to manage the domains and email addresses.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK great.

I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did what you said and here are the results.

Verifying volume “Newest Drive”
Checking file systemPerforming live verification.
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Checking extents overflow file.
Checking catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking catalog hierarchy.
Checking extended attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume Newest Drive appears to be OK.

Repairing permissions for “Newest Drive”
Group differs on “.DS_Store”; should be 80; group is 0.
Permissions differ on “.DS_Store”; should be -rw-rw-r-- ; they are -rw-r--r-- .
Repaired “.DS_Store”
ACL found but not expected on “private/var/root”
Repaired “private/var/root”
ACL found but not expected on “private/var/root/Library”
Repaired “private/var/root/Library”
ACL found but not expected on “private/var/root/Library/Preferences”
Repaired “private/var/root/Library/Preferences”

Permissions repair complete

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK now open Mail and select the Inbox of the problem account and go to Mailbox / Rebuild.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have "rebuild" for all of my emails accounts. There is no improvement in the issue. The following is the error message when I have the email accounts NOT set to SSL. When I set them to SSL the error message changes as the port changes to 993.

There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account “ASLS Michael” or try again.

The server returned the error: The connection to host slsalon.com on port 143 failed.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok I suggest you try making a new account with one of them but do not delete the old account. It sounds like you know how to do that, correct or do you need instructions? Set it up with your email address and password XXXXX let it auto setup. Let me know
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I checked those ports and they are open... are you sure it is set to:

mail.slsalon.com?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My ISP recommends just slsalon.com as the incoming mail server. However I have set up a new account with mail.slsalon.com as the incoming mail server and there is no improvement. Yesterday I set up an account with imap.slsalon.com as the incoming mail server and the same results.

Over the weekend I also put my mail into folders and made completely new accounts with no success.

So just now I when to another computer with Outlook 6 set up one of my accounts. I used imap.slsalon.com as the incoming server and smtp.slsalon.com as the outgoing server. SSL with 993 and the outoing port of 25. The account was able to send and receive. So perhaps Mac MAIL 6.3 is just going to refuse to work smoothly with apollohosting.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Is that Outlook on Windows? Do you have any virus or security software installed on the Mac? Try turning off the Firewall just to see.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Also open the Network Utility select the Lookup tab and put in:

slsalon.com

copy and paste the results here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Outlook is on Windows and I have Trend Micro Virus Protection installed.

On the MAC there is no virus or security software installed.

Ping has started…

PING www.slsalon.com (66.242.26.148): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 66.242.26.148: icmp_seq=0 ttl=47 time=54.544 ms
64 bytes from 66.242.26.148: icmp_seq=1 ttl=47 time=56.656 ms
64 bytes from 66.242.26.148: icmp_seq=2 ttl=47 time=56.733 ms
64 bytes from 66.242.26.148: icmp_seq=3 ttl=47 time=81.737 ms
64 bytes from 66.242.26.148: icmp_seq=4 ttl=47 time=53.407 ms
64 bytes from 66.242.26.148: icmp_seq=5 ttl=47 time=53.511 ms
64 bytes from 66.242.26.148: icmp_seq=6 ttl=47 time=53.805 ms
64 bytes from 66.242.26.148: icmp_seq=7 ttl=47 time=52.953 ms
64 bytes from 66.242.26.148: icmp_seq=8 ttl=47 time=107.910 ms
64 bytes from 66.242.26.148: icmp_seq=9 ttl=47 time=70.214 ms

--- www.slsalon.com ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 52.953/64.147/107.910/17.104 ms

Lookup has started…

Trying "www.slsalon.com"
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 46279
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.slsalon.com. IN ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.slsalon.com. 3600 IN A 66.242.26.148

Received 49 bytes from 192.168.1.1#53 in 96 ms

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok but I need slsalon.com not www.slsalon.com. Go to Network Preferences select your connection then go to Advanced and add theses servers under the DNS tab

8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Lookup has started…

Trying "slsalon.com"
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 44030
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;slsalon.com. IN ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
slsalon.com. 3600 IN A 66.242.26.148
slsalon.com. 3600 IN NS ns1.apolloservers.com.
slsalon.com. 3600 IN NS ns2.apolloservers.com.
slsalon.com. 3600 IN SOA ns1.apollohosting.com. dnsadmin.apollohosting.com. XXXXXXXXXX(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>slsalon.com. 3600 IN MX 10 mail.slsalon.com.

Received 179 bytes from 192.168.1.1#53 in 108 ms

OK I have added

8.8.8.8

8.8.4.4 as instructed

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK now:

Go here and download Maintenance for your system version, install it, run it and follow directions then check all boxes and click on Execute. Restart after.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadmaintenance.php

Then open Mail and see if there is any change.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I installed and ran the titanium software and there are no improvements in terms of the email error messages.

However there was an error message at the end of run the software you suggested. I have seen this message before when I install upgrades to the Operating Software but don't know what it means.

System extension cannot be used

The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/hpPlugInInit.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
That is for an HP printer. If your HP printer is working ok you can trash that. So even the new account you setup still receives and sends but you get the error message?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
And you setup the new account with?:

Incoming: imap.apollohosting.com
Outgoing: smtp.apollohosting.com

IMAP: server port is set to 993
SMTP server port is set to 465

Full directions here:

http://www.apollohosting.com/knowledgebase/beta/article.bml?ArticleID=1463&type=How%20To
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your last suggestion I don't think is an option. I have tried it and it does not work. Remember My domains and email addresses are inside a VPS which is different that just having a domain and email address with apollo hosting. So the link you reference is for email addresses not inside a VPS provided by Apollo Hosting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am going to try a suggestion that I just got in making a change in my Plesk control panel to see if that solves the issues. So why don't we stop here... a great effort but to no direct success.

Certainly I am more that happy to offer the agreed fee for your time. Please tell me what to do next to make that happen.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
A VPS is just a shared server no different really. I can only follow the instructions they give. This is perplexing. If you give me a rating of OK or higher I am paid, thank you. Sorry. Good luck that is a good idea.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK so in the Plesk Control panel I was advised to "check" enable message submission. So far no improvement but perhaps in a day it will get better.