John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

I am trying to sunc my ipod onto my lap top and it appears

I am trying to sunc my ipod onto my lap top and it appears I have wiped all the music off the ipod. Is it possible to retreive it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Was the music on your iPod, tracks purchased from the iTunes Store originally or music you ripped from CD yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

most were taken from CDs

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply, Robyn.

There is actually a method for transferring music from your iPod to a new library BUT as you have found out it's also much too easy to accidentally erase the iPod during first sync as that is the default option.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news and please don't shoot the messenger but any music you have ripped from CD yourself will have to be re-ripped as it is now lost and there is no backup on the iPod of music.

Purchased music can be downloaded again at no additional charge, however.

First, open iTunes

Click the "Store" option in the menubar and choose "Authorize this Computer..." and supply the Apple ID and password XXXXX used to purchase/download the lost music.

*Note: If running iTunes 11 on Windows, you may need to show the menubar

graphic

Next, select the iTunes Store. Sign in with the same Apple ID and Password, if you are not already.

In the iTunes Store, you should see a Quick Links sidebar at the right side of the page. Look for the "Purchased" option and click it.

On the Purchased page, you will see a toggle near the top-right of the page labeled as "All | Not In My Library". Select "Not In My Library".

Under Music, select "All Songs" from the listing at the left and then click "Download All" in the bottom right.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try to find a way to 'rip' from my CDs (as you call it). What I would appreciate is advice as to how to do that.

On the PC, there is an itunes library that my son has all of his music on - I had all of mine on the lap top (that has now died). What do I need to do to create a new itunes library to leave his library undamaged

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me what version of Windows is installed on the PC?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure where I find that information It could be 7 windows explorer or windows vista basic

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay,

Click the Start button, type winver in the search box, and then press Enter. It should provide version information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Windows Vista Home Premium Version 6

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Robyn.

In order to have your own iTunes Library, I would recommend creating your own user account on the PC. You can follow the directions on the following page (Choose an Administrator account when creating the new Account):

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-create-a-new-user-in-windows-vista.html

Once created, if you sign into this new account and start iTunes, it will create an iTunes Library just for you.

You can then rip songs from your own CD, plus re-download content from the iTunes Store using the directions I gave you previously.

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Howdy!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this or other issues, please let me know.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks John,

I followed the advice but it got too tricky and I ended up inadvertently wiping all my music off my ipod. I will probably get the local 'Geeks on Wheels' to come out to my hose and walk me through syncing iphone, doing itunes etc. But thanks for your help and it was worth the try

Robyn

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to hear of your troubles Robyn, it was my understanding you had lost the music on the iPod prior to us beginning this discussion.

If you decide you'd like to continue in the future we can try taking it step by step.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No problem, thanks for trying to help.