John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

Java will no longer work in safari particularly in pogo games,

Java will no longer work in safari particularly in pogo games, how do I resolve this
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of Safari you are currently using?

Also, the version of OS X?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

MacOSX Version 10.5.8

Snow Leopard Safari

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Julie.

Snow Leopard is the code name for OS X 10.6 or later. Can you double check the version?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information.

Also, in Safari, click "Safari" in the menu bar and choose About... It should list a version number there, as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Version 10.5.8 In the Safari Window it says 10.5.6

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Can you please look at Safari again? The absolute latest version is 6.0.4 and it's likely you have something older than that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do have an older machine and on the apple it says 10.5.8 and on the safari it says 10.5.6 (5533.22.3)

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX number (5533.22.3) means you likely have Safari 5.0.6 installed.

Please visit the following page and tell me if it indicates if JAVA is working on your Mac:

http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

You may need to click where it says "Skip installation of the current version and test the currently installed version of Java".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when I go to that page to do the test a notification pops up and says Java is unavailable, but I did a java test and it tells me the latest java is installed and enabled

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
If you go to this page, is JAVA listed and if so what version number?

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, it is not listed

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
In the Finder,

click the Go menu at the very top of the screen and choose Applications.

In the new Finder window that opens, open the Utilities folder.

Double-click the "Terminal" app to run it.

In the new window that appears,

Type
java -version

and press Enter. (a space between java & -version is important)

Let me know what it says.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

java version "1.5.0_30"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_30-b03-389-9M3425)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_30-161, mixed mode, sharing)
julie-thompsons-imac-5:~ juliethompson$

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so it does seem to be working on your system but not working well in Safari itself.

In Safari... Go to the Safari menu > Preferences > Security.

-Is there a check mark next to "Enable Java"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes 3 boxes ticked - enabled plug ins, enabled Java and enabled Java script

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Open Safari

Click "Safari" in the menubar

Choose "Reset Safari"

On the dialog window that opens, all options should be checked except
- Remove saved names and passwords
- Remove other AutoFill form text

Click "Reset"

When it's done, restart Safari, and see if the issue is resolved.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have just restarted safari and went to pogo games and the first thing that popped up was the little sign that said java was not available???

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Can you give me a little more info on this issue. When did it first occur, did anything change about your computer prior to this?

Also, do you have your original OS X install cd available for troubleshooting purposes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No CD came with the computer and it happened about 6 months ago for no apparent reason, could have been after an update but not that I was aware of as updates occur automatically

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Did you purchase this Mac used?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I purchased it new in 2009

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, then you would have indeed received a CD or DVD with your iMac at the time.

You can try the following without the CD but it may be a bit more tedious and it will limit what we can accomplish a bit.

Restart your Mac

Immediately press the "Command"(Apple) key + "S" Key at the same time

When the screen goes black and you start seeing text, let go.

After a short period of time you will land at a command prompt.

At the command-line prompt, type:
/sbin/fsck -fy

and Press Return.

(fsck is a file system checker. It will run through a battery of tests, looking at different aspects of your file system.

When it's done, it will normally produce one of two messages

1) "The volume (name of your hard drive) appears to be OK

If it states the above, then your drive is fine and you can simply type "reboot" at the prompt to restart your Mac and boot back to the Desktop.

2) If fsck found any errors, it may have tried to correct them and will display this message: --FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED--

If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed at the beginning

/sbin/fsck -fy

and Press Return.

Keep repeating this until it reports your drive is OK.

If by some reason you need to do the above more than 5 times, this indicates a more serious issue. At the very least, the hard drive needs to be formatted and OS X should be re-installed.

However, assuming everything goes okay, type 'reboot' at the prompt and then press Return.

Once you are back at the desktop;

In the Finder, click on "Go" in the menubar and choose "Utilities"

Locate the "Disk Utility" app and open it

In the left hand sidebar, choose your Mac's Hard Drive (Usually "Macintosh HD").

On the right hand side of the page, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Once the process has completed, restart your Mac once again and see if the issue remains.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

does this mean I will lose all I have on my computer?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
No, this will just check that the system files are intact and have the correct settings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, will repost results when completed

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, I'll be here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have just checked the computer box and the only disc that came with the computer was the Life '09 one

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
That's unfortunate because all OS X 10.5 units did ship with restore media when new. You may wish to contact your nearest Apple location for possible replacement discs but they may no longer be available due to age.

For now, you can follow the previous instructions I gave and I'll be happy to help you out if you run into questions/issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did all the requested and the Drive was 0k first time around Then did the repair of the utility disk and it did some repairs but none seemed to refer to java. on the left of that box were 3 items listed - Hitachi HDP, Macintosh HD, Matshita DVD and then was a line and under that was Java for Mac OSx10.5 update, I dont know if that is significant

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

forgot to add that I am still getting the Java is not available or not installed on the pogo site

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Had you tried re-installing Java at some point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, I have actually uninstalled it and reinstalled it a couple of times and it is up to date

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
What method did you use to try uninstalling Java?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I went to where the java was in my applications and dropped the icon into the trash bin

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Java is installed at the system level and can't entirely be replaced by downloading an update. While merely dragging what you see in the Applications/utilities folders should not have harmed the plug-in as used by Safari it's impossible to say what kind of state the install may be in currently.

One way to check whether this is a user account issue or a system issue is to test it under a new account.

From the Apple menu, select System Preferences... .

From the View menu, select Accounts (or click the icon in the System Preferences window, if visible)

If it's locked, click the padlock in the bottom left corner of the window, and then authenticate as an administrator.

Under the list of user accounts, click + (the plus sign).

In Mac OS X 10.5 , from the menu next to "New Account:", select the type of account you want to create. Select Administrator.

In the "Full Name:" field, enter the new user's real name. This can be anything you like as it is a test account.

In the "Account Name:" or "Short Name:" field, enter a username you wish to assign to the user.

In the "Password:" field, type a password XXXXX the user, then type it again in the "Verify:" field. You can optionally set a password XXXXX for the user.

Click Create User or Create Account.

Once it has been created, click the Apple menu and select Log Out...

Then sign in to the test account and see if java works there.

Let me know the result.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried it under the new name and still no go but as it rebooted it said to improve the security of your mac the java plug in has been disabled - you can re enable it in the security panel of safari preferences. I went to pogo and tried the games and it did not load the java so I enabled it and tried again and it still did not work

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me the serial number of your iMac, please?

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Then, repeatedly click on the word "Version" until it says "Serial Number" and please provide that number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

YM902155ZE4

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Julie.

It's my belief you are running into a couple of issues here, a) the age of the software, and b) the lack of proper restore media. You are running software that is around 5 years old, much of it now unsupported and restricted due to security issues and bugs.

We may be able to piece everything back together if we had the original restore discs but at this point in time it doesn't make sense to attempt to replace them as your iMac can run much newer releases based on the serial number.

At the very least you may be able to upgrade to OS X 10.6 though your computer will support 10.8 which would allow you to run the latest of all your software, including much newer versions of Java.

I'm not sure of pricing and availablebility in your location but going from OS X 10.5.x to OS X 10.6.x is a paid upgrade.

For a limited time, it may be available via the Apple Online store.

It is no longer officially sold in most retail outlets and if you can't readily find it most customers have been able to get it via telephone.

Call 0800-692-7753 (I believe this is the correct number for New Zealand) and tell them you want the Snow Leopard upgrade which they can hopefully send on CD. The cost should be low, it is around $20 USD shipped here.

Once you have the disc, the upgrade process is fairly simple. After the install, keep running System Preferences > Software Update until no more updates are offered.

Once you have 10.6.8 installed, you may be able to upgrade to the latest release of OS X (10.8 Mountain Lion) via the Mac Store. Sadly, you must have 10.6.8 installed first to upgrade further.

I can help you along the way if you have further questions but we can not repair your Java without a disc of some sort as it currently stands.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

:( it has been a long day with no result and I am sad. but thank you for your "help" I thought it would be a simple resolve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

and for some reason this programme seems to have not only taken my $90, but has also swiped another $123 for some other reason, which seems very unreasonable

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I was hoping it could be, as well. However, in the case of OS X 10.5 the original, complete installer for Java is included on the restore disc only so we can not completely rebuild your Java system as originally installed so I can only provide help based on what you have available and the facts of the current situation.

I'm not sure what you are seeing in regards XXXXX XXXXX funds as I am not an employee of JustAnswer. I can not access your account or agreement with them and I have not been paid anything (only upon receiving a positive rating do I receive even a portion of your deposit). Account questions would need to go to directly to JustAnswer.

If you have further questions, I am here.

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for your time and help and I will certainly give you a good rating to be paid

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much, Julie. It is greatly appreciated and, again, if you need further help or other questions on this issue, please feel free to reply at any time.