Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

Im trying to clear space on my Mac. There is a folder called

Customer Question

I'm trying to clear space on my Mac. There is a folder called iPhoto Library that is 114gb - I don't even use iPhoto. Is this a duplicate folder of all of my pictures on my computer? If I delete this, will it delete my existing photos in my documents folder?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

From what you are describing, it sounds like that folder is your entire picture folder. By default, photos that are imported will import into iphoto. How do you normally view your photos?

Customer:

I use picasa to load and view my photos, I can see all of my picture folders on my computer - but there is just that one folder called iPhoto Library that is huge

Appleologist :

Normally, picasa will grab photos from iphoto. Before you delete anything, Select the entire picture folder and choose File<Get info. A box will pop up with a GB amount in the upper right corner. What is the GB size?

Customer:

the iphoto library folder is 114gb

Appleologist :

Are you selecting the picture folder Or just the iphoto folder. You will need to select the entire picture folder.

Appleologist :

Its easier to select the picture folder by opening finder and then selecting Pictures in the left column within finder

Customer:

oh the picture folder is 344gb

Appleologist :

Wow. Ok so then yes you do have a double library. Before you delete the folder, I highly recommend copying your iphoto library folder onto an external hard drive. Do you have an external hard drive?

Customer:

i don't have one with that much space

Customer:

i have all of my pics backed up on picasa though

Appleologist :

Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in iphoto. Scam through them to see if there are photos that are not in picasa. If your Picasa library is more current, delete your iphoto library and empty the trash.

Customer:

however, why would iphoto create duplicate images?

Appleologist :

Whenever you import photos, iphoto is the default photo application

Customer:

so maybe those are not duplicates then?

Appleologist :

You can change that within picasa preferences

Customer:

normally I import them with picasa and it adds them to their own folder - but I may have imported some through iphoto at one time

Appleologist :

Open picasa. Click on Picasa from the top menu and choose preferences

Appleologist :

That is possible too. When you connect your photos, does iphoto launch?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

You can change that. Open picasa and choose Picasa from the top menu bar. Choose preferences Under "When camera is connected Launch" Choose Picasa

Customer:

so if iphoto imports pictures, is it creating a folder on my mac in Pictures for that? Or are they all bundled in iphoto?

Appleologist :

Correct. It will automatically create and iphoto folder whenever photos import into iphoto which is also stored inside the actual iphoto application. (where you view the photos)

Customer:

so for example, if I move the picture folder to a HD, I can't even open the iphoto library on an external HD right? because it requires iphoto to open it?

Appleologist :

No you absolutely can still open it. You will just need to press and hold the option key while launching iphoto and then choose the iphoto library from your external drive

Customer:

currently when i open iphoto and select Events, most of what I see are Photo Streams, like Feb 2012 photo stream

Appleologist :

photo stream is from icloud. Those are photos taken from an iphoto or ipad. They are saved to the cloud and not your actual hard drive

Customer:

ok so just to be clear, if my iphoto library says it is 114gb, then that means it imported that much in pictures -- however iphoto doesn't create actual folders of the pics it imported so the only way you can view them is with iphoto?

Appleologist :

Yup! That is correct. IPhoto will only create one folder and that is iphoto library with a flower icon next to it.

Customer:

ok thank you for your hel

Customer:

help

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.