Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

Hi, I cant login to my main account on my MacBook Pro.

Customer Question

I can't login to my main account on my MacBook Pro. Password XXXXX but keeps going back to login screen.

Please help!

Thanks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name is Dustin, And I am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

What version of Mac osx do you have on your macbook.. 10.6 10.7 10.8 ?

( snow leaopard, lion, mountain lion )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's 10.6.8. I believe it's Snow Leopard.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jake..

Lets try a few basic repairs first.. Starting with this one.

To open Disk Utility, from the Applications folder, open Utilities, and then double-click the Disk Utility icon.

In the column on the left, click your startup disk.

Click the First Aid tab, and then click Repair Disk Permissions. Disk Utility will reset any files and folders with incorrect settings.

Once that completes, Id like you to try and shut down the mac.. Start it in safe mode.. And then try to login to the original admin account you had before

Heres how to start in safe mode.

To start up into Safe Mode (to Safe Boot), do this:

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

If you still cannot log into the account, or if you get any error messages at all Jake, please send a reply my way with as much detail as possible, so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Which one do I choose for First Aid?

I have two options:

Macintosh HD

250.06 GB Toshiba MK2555GSXF Media

Thanks.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Choose Mac HD please...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I did the first aid check and it said that Macintosh HD was fine.

I then shut down the computer and then followed your instructions on startup. Instead of talking me to a login screen, it went immdediately to the new account I set up when I was trying to reset the password for my main account. I then signed out of that account and tried to login to my main account. It accepted the password. It went to the screen with the stars for several minutes and then went to a blank blue screen and then immediately went back to the screen where you select which account you want to use. So, I think no luck.

What's the next step?

Thanks.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Do you have your snow leopard disk ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not with me, no.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm...

Ordering a disk, or borrowing one.. May be the best bet.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

The disk is only 20$ brand new.. And its crucial to have in my opinion..

With the disk, we should be able to boot from the disk, and run further repairs... This almost always resolves the issue your having..

Do you know anyone you could borrow a Snow Leopard disk from? If not. Then we should probably order it.. and then when you get it , insert the disk, boot from it..

And then use the disk to run a verify and repair, and also.. For good measure reset the password of your admin account via the disk pre boot..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I'll have to drive and go see if I can find the disk, which I'll do now.

Barring that, there's nothing else to try?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Well.. We could always create a new account.. And that start migrating your files over from the other profile .....

If your running Time machine... You could try restoring your entire hard drive and all folders en masse, from before this issue occured..

That stands a chance of fixing the issue..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Well, I never did backup from on Time Machine which is why I'm a bit in a lurch.

I'm going to go check to see if I can find my startup disk. I should be back in touch in an hour or so.

Thanks for your patience.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem Jake.. and im sorry to hear you didnt make a backup, though I kind of thought that may be the case, or else you would have restored and not needed to ask for help...

Thank you for your patience as well, I undertstand that this is probably a frustrating situation.. Ive been in your shoes more then once..

I work 7 days a week here, and theres no time limit on my ability to talk with you and try to resolve this.. So take your time and get back to me when you can.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, found it! Let me know what to try next?

Thanks.

And yes, it is frustrating. Especially when I have to leave the country in a few days and have to have access to these files for work. I'll be backing up from now, needless to say.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood.. Worst case scenario.. We should be able to access your files, from the other account... Its not ideal, but just want to assure you that as long as the mac still turns on and you can log into one account.. We should be able to still use the other files..

Ok.. lets insert the snow leopard disk.. Then shut the computer down

Hold down C.. then start the mac.. It should boot into the disk , and we should be able to run a disk repair first, then a disk permissions repair second.

The page below helps show the pages and what you will see in those menus.

https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=3810

Let me know if you get stuck, or run into any issues.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Damn, still no luck. I ran the disk repair and it said it was ok. I also ran the desk permissions, and it fixed a number of problems. After all that was done, I rebooted from my Macintosh HD drive. Went strait to the new account I referred to before as the one I made to try to reset my password. I logged out of that one and I tried to login to my main account. Still the same space screen for about 5 minutes and then the blue screen for a few seconds and then back to the login menu for the different accounts.

Anything else you can suggest?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
when you ran the disk repair and permissions repair..

What hd or disk did you choose?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Macintosh HD, not the disc or the Toshiba one I referenced earlier.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok..

When you booted from the CD.. What all choices did you see for disks to repair?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the Toshiba one, Macintosh HD, and then two ones for the disc itself.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. Question.. You keep mentioning the toshiba one.

Do you have an external hard drive connected?

Also.. Lets try one more step

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

That may not fix the issue, but it stands a small chance of helping and we shouldnt over look it..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope, no external hard drive.

I tried that but same thing happened again.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Question, if you go into your ~ library / users

Can you see your username there? And if so.. Can you open and access your files from the other user account?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, there's a red exclamation point next to the file.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Specifcally what folder has the red ! ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey,

I'm sorry for falling off the planet. I tried your trick of command option p r again and this time it wouldn't reboot. I finally broke down and took it to the geek squad for a diagnostic. It looks like I will probably get it back before I leave. They said they thought it might be the drive, but wouldn't know until diagnostics etc.

I appreciate all your help with this and for the quick responses. I'll make sure you get a good review.

Thanks a lot.

Jake
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jake..

The command P r shouldnt have affected the hard drive at all.. I hope the geek squad got the mac back to you in one piece.. If they were able to fix the current hard drive ( geek squad is known for erasing files ) If they fixed the same hard drive but erased files.

There are programs we can run that are able to recover files even after a hard drive has been formatted.

Let me know if thats something that you need to, or would like to look into..

Good luck on your trip,

Dustin S.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jake,

I hope the last weeks have treated you well since we last spoke.. I just wanted to make contact with you and find out if you wanted to pursue recovering some of those files, or if there was anything else that you need or require assistance with...

As of now, this question is still open so any conversation we have would not incur any additional fees or charges.. I look forward to you response as your schedule permits.

Dustin S.