Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Hi. In iMovie 11 I want to fast forward a clip but when

In iMovie 11 I want to fast forward a clip but when I choose fast forward in the clip menu my speed choices are grayed out. My clip inspector has no speed slider. Can you help?

Where do you see a Fast Forward button in the Event clip window? I only see a play or full screen play? thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

"Clip" is in the menu bar at the top of the screen. The drop down menu has fast forward, slo-mo, etc.

That only works for clips that are in a Project and it is basically an effect that is applied to your project not a way to view clips in the Event window. You can just skim with your mouse to do that in the Event clips window.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't drag a video file into the project area because it bounces back, so I imported the file from the desktop. Then the clip appeared in the event viewer but there was nothing in the project window. Thanks to you, I dragged the clip from the event window to the project window and now my options are not grayed out. But why can't I start a new project by dragging clips like the manual says?

They have to be in an Event first you can't drag them directy to a Project.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What puzzles me is that in the project window it says, "To start a new project, select video or photos and drag them to this area."

iMovie HD sure is easier to work with but doesn't have some features like fast-forward.

Thanks for your help.

Yes it just leaves out that you have to drag them from the Event window. They need to be processedd to work with iMovie first.