Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have the imac with OS 10.6.8. Last night my husband tried

I have the imac with OS 10.6.8. Last night my husband tried to upgrade to the mountain lion and when it went through the process of downloading it would stop and say there is an error with the disc. We went in through disc utility and tried to unmount, repair, and erase it, but to no avail. It keeps saying that there is something open on the disc. Now I am not able to go back to the previous OS we had before and everytime I restart the computer it is stuck on the installation for the new OS.
Put the Snow Leopard install disk in and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.