Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

That "beach ball" spinning thing keeps appearing on my scree

Customer Question

That "beach ball" spinning thing keeps appearing on my screen and my computer (iMac desktop) is functioning more slowly than in a very long time in using the internet for e-mails.
The actual question I want answered is what to DO about this and how can I fix it myself!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

There are possibly, multiple causes of this issue.. Before I relay some routines you can employ to correct this issue, I need to ask you some questions..

Do you only experiencing the long wait times and the spinning ball, when your actively using the internet?

What about if you shut down all internet pages, and did something like run Iphoto on your mac, or Itunes.

Do you experience the beach ball with any program. or just while using the internet...

And also, when your using the internet what browser are you using.. Safari, Mozilla firefox, chrome, opera?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Using Safari all the time.

Never use Iphoto or Itunes.

I think it is while using the Internet but almost every time I am online -- so everything happens slowly.

I can send messages and receive messages, briefly, and then the ball starts spinning.

Sometimes I shut down the computer and start all over again, and that helps for awhile.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood.. There are three areas in which I would like to focus repairs..

repairing permissions. ( this should help speed up the mac slightly )

Resetting Safari.. ( this will help clear up any conflicts in your cache, or cookies that may be slowing down your web experience )

And also, running an antivirus sweep for good measure..

Heres how to repair permissions.

To open Disk Utility, from the Applications folder, open Utilities, and then double-click the Disk Utility icon.

In the column on the left, click your startup disk.

Click the First Aid tab, and then click Repair Disk Permissions. Disk Utility will reset any files and folders with incorrect settings.

Then, do the following

Choose System Preferences from the Apple Menu.
Choose Software Update from the View menu.
Click Update Now.
Select the items you want to install, then click Install.
Enter an Admin user name and password.
After the update is complete, restart the mac

Then, its time to repair safari..

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph5043

Make sure you clear the cache, cookies, and reset it..

Then, for good measure.. Run a virus scan

Here is a free virus scanner for mac

www.clamxav.com

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bitdefender-virus-scanner/id500154009?mt=12

If it finds anything serious.. I would strongly recommend purchasing a Mac antivirus program such as

http://buy-static.norton.com/norton/ps/2up_us_en_navnis_mac.html?om_sem_cid=hho_sem_sy:us:ggl:en:e|kw0000013860|20157658036&country=US

if you get stuck, or have any further questions, let me know.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I used the ClamXav virus scanner and it downloaded and then said underneath

"Mounting failed"

What does THIS mean? What next?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't rate the expert until I complete what he told me to do.

And I won't know if it worked until I use the computer for a little while after that.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the delay Linda.. I just seen your responses..

Clamxav may not be compatible with your system..

Lets try this one instead.

This is from the mac app store, Its free.. And its also a virus scaner.

It should be able to install without issue on your system.. if you run into any further issues, please let me know!

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

I went to this one, too, but it says I need a Mac OS X 10.6.6 or later

and my Mac says it is a 10.5.8 version.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ah ha.. Thank you for clarifying.. Thats also why ClamXav didnt work.

Sophos, another free antivirus.. Will work with 10.5.8

You can get it from here

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-edition/system-requirements.aspx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will rate the service with a smiley face after I get to use my computer a bit today and see if it is better as a result of what we have worked on.

Thank you!

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thats perfectly fine Linda..

There is no rush to rate.. And I would ask that if after employing the steps I suggested.. if you dont notice an improvement, please wait to rate and instead.. Send a reply so that you and I can go over some more steps.. This issue is fixable, and hopefully the first steps did the trick. But if they didnt, I will gladly help you with further steps as needed.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So far, the little beach ball is still there spinning -- but not as long each time as it was before. I will give it another day or so before we have to try other things -- thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi -- the first steps apparently did not do the trick -- things are slower than ever and the ball spins longer tho not every time I am online --

don't now whether to start over with the steps you gave me or wait for further advice.

Thanks.

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Lindie~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert said there were further things we could try so
I was hoping to do so with him.
I am out of town thru weekend but anxious to fix my iMac as soon as
I am back home.
am beginning to think I have to take it to the experts at the Apple store, which is a pain, but am sure they could fix it.
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Lindie
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mac OSX

Version 10.5.8

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 1 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Do you have your 10.5 system disk?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If not just reboot and hold the Shify key until you see the Apple Logo. It will attempt repairs and boot into Safe Mode and may take longer than usual to startup. After it starts up... restart the normal way. Let me know if the problem persists.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Beach ball thing no longer spinning all the time! Thanks --

now I have no sound and can't use animation -- when a Jacqui Lawson card is sent, for example, it does not animate or play music. Received an e-mail with dancing -- it will not run. These happened with the repair!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Try resetting the PRAM.

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need them in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
6. Release the keys.

Let me know.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!

Things are looking so much better -- and sound and video are back. Beach ball is back, too, but not as a constant.

I made a Genius Bar appointment for tomorrow night, and will probably keep it so everything can get checked out -- but thank you -- we are so much better!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At the Genius Bar, there was nothing evidently wrong with my computer! The beach ball thing never even appeared!

Their thought was that my home cable might not be good -- but beach ball continues to spin anyway now, regardless of which cable I use from computer to wall. Probably have to call Verizon Fios re: this.But thanks for your help -- major improvements!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks let me know