Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

I backed up my Mac last week through Time Machine using a Seagate

Customer Question

I backed up my Mac last week through Time Machine using a Seagate external hard drive. I deleted a lot of things afterward because my MacKeeper "said" I could. Long story short - b/c that's not the point of this question - a Genius at the Apple Store suggest I just start fresh since I had a recent back up. I let him reboot my computer. (Not sure if that's the right word. He basically wiped it clean, as if I had a brand-new computer.)

His advice was that I should not automatically migrate my back up from the Seagate drive b/c some of the preferences *might* be saved on there. (I couldn't remember when my computer first started having the issues, before or after the back up.)

Anyway, it looks like all of the "insides" of my apps are either gone or inside something called Terminal. For instance, when I open the package contents of iTunes on my Seagate drive, I expected to see .mp3 files somewhere. However, the only thing I saw that might have matched the amount of memory my old iTunes used was a file that seemed techie and was title Terminal. Same thing with my Silhouette files. Same with my Stickies. On so on.

Is this where my files were stored - in this Terminal file? (Each app has one.) Does any of this make sense?
Thank you,
Amy
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name is Dustin, And I am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

Hello Amy, It sounds like what the Tech at the mac store did, was a clean install of your operating system.

That means that, all of your files, pictures, music... Have been erased..

You did mention you did a backup, and that is a good thing.. Because that backup is going to be from where we can restore your music, pictures, files, etc..

Do you still have the external seagate hard drive that you used to make the backups?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that's what my question above was referring to. It was suggested that I do not do a full migration from the Seagate b/c some of the issues I was having previously might migrate with it. Instead, I should back up files individually. I already have all of my software and apps uploaded again...Just need the meat to these things.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Then lets not do a full migration.. Lets just restore the specific types of files you want..

Can you list the files you want to pull from the seagate hard drive.. And then you and I can go over the process to move them over as groups.

Such as.

Pictures. Music. Documents.. Etc..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Music first. I've already done documents. Movies are processing now, I hope.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood..

Then all you should have to do.. Is go into your time machine backups on your external hard drive.

Find this folder

Music/iTunes Music

click on
the Itunes music folder.. And then at the bottom right of the time machine window.. hit restore..

Once it completes.. Close itunes, restart your mac.. Then start itunes, and your music should be back in place..

That should put your entire music catalogue back into place, with one step.

We can do the same for any other folder you want.. But lets focus on just the music for now..

If you get stuck or run into any issues, please let me know..

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is not a folder titled Music.

And it's not just music I need. I need all the "meat" to all of my apps. The Stickie Notes. The emails that were saved in files on my Mail program. The Silhouette app files (that's a craft/paper cutting app...I designed some of those myself and they save - i thought - w/in Silhouette.)

I know how to move things over in a basic sense, but I don't know where my stuff is hiding.

For example, the one thing i found was my photos. I "opened package contents" of iPhoto and found all of my .jpg Masters hiding there.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Understood...

on the seagate drive if you view it.. Whats the root list of folders your seeing before you expands them.

Do you see a folder that calls itself, time machine backups?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's titled "backups.backupdb"

Then "Amy Kirchhoff's Macbook"

Then all the dates I backed up up on.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Amy, Would you mind if we connected during a screen share session..

So that I can view the folder structure myself.. And assist you directly with the file restore process. A screen share session will help us cut down on the communication phase, and help get us closer to the resolution phase..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's fine. What do I need to do?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
We just need to download and setup the secure connection software..

You can download it from the link below

http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=80e5fe3a-ed63-4cbb-a273-503d0c8b2fb3&SUPPORT=JAVAW

Accept the terms..

then download the elsinore software, then open and run it to install it.

You should then see a screen that says joining.. Send a reply to me at that point so I can try to connect from my end.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Also, found Music in an older backup. ?? Weird.

Still need the other stuff though. I really think it's trapped in this "terminal" business.

Downloading now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's just "joining your session" forever...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are we still trying to join? my screen is still up.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the delay.. Your messges all just came throuigh at once.

On the screen that says joining... Do you see a section that says something like, Problems joining, or try other connection options?

If so, please click that and allow it to try and join ..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

"Now trying option 2"

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks..Im keeping my eye on the connection screen..