Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Please can you help me with Mac Mail settings for AT&T? I

Customer Question

Please can you help me with Mac Mail settings for AT&T? I can't log in.
Category: Mac
Expert:  dresteve2000 replied 1 year ago.

dresteve2000 :

I am here to help you with this issue.

dresteve2000 :

Are you able to sign into your email online using AT&T webmail?

Customer :

Yes.

dresteve2000 :

Ok great so that means you have a working username and password.

dresteve2000 :

What happens in Mac Mail when you try to update your email?

Customer :

I can connect to the internet, but AT&T server won't accept my password.

Customer :

smtp server won't accept my password

dresteve2000 :

Ok, I understand...

dresteve2000 :

Do you think we could setup a remote session so I can take a look at the problem directly?

Customer :

No.

dresteve2000 :

Ok, no problem.

dresteve2000 :

Please try to go to this page and see if you can log into your email:

https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?.partner=sbc

Customer :

I am logged in this way.

dresteve2000 :

Ok, great. Can you configure your mac mail in this way please? Just confirm that the SMTP server and POP server address are the same:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401573#fbid=FcT0D4rfZM5

Customer :

Hi Dr. ESteve,

dresteve2000 :

Yes?

Customer :

I am using Mac Mail, not Outlook.

dresteve2000 :

Yes, the site that I just gave you was for Mac Mail.

dresteve2000 :

Not outlook.

Customer :

Hold on while I look at this , please

dresteve2000 :

Sure, take as much time as you need.

Customer :

No, the site you gave me is for POP accounts for Outlook.

dresteve2000 :

Really?

Customer :

Have a look yourself.

dresteve2000 :

When I open the link I see

"Set up an email account in Apple Mail 4.x:"

Customer :

Scroll down. All the icons and fields are from Outlook.

Customer :

Set up for Outlook 2007.

Customer :

Well.....?

dresteve2000 :

So let's open your mail right now and click on Mail on top and go to Mail prefences

Customer :

Done. In the field that says "Password" I will enter data, but it won't consistently hold. Quite frequently, I see that the field is empty, but even when I populate it, I still can't login.

dresteve2000 :

Ok, click on Account Information.

Customer :

yes

dresteve2000 :

What do you see for incoming and outgoing server?

Customer :

imap.mail.yahoo.com incoming

Customer :

smtp.mail.yahoo.com:XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX (ofline)_

dresteve2000 :

Ok, thank you very much.

dresteve2000 :

Are you able to receive email?

Customer :

No via Mac Mail. I can't login to my account and I can't log into smtp. server

Customer :

Not via Mac Mail

dresteve2000 :

Hm... Ok, and you're using your full email address as the username correct?

Customer :

yes

dresteve2000 :

Well... I'm not really sure what's happening. I will opt out of this question and allow another tech to respond to this question.

Customer :

Thank you. Do I need to ask again, or will you send my question on to another technician?

Customer :

Thanks for trying to help me.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks a lot for posting your query here. I am Jins here to assist you. Did you configured apple mail with att and worked with it ? Is this a new issue ? Or do you need to configure att with mac mail now ? Can you please give the exact error message apple mail gives you ?

Regards
Jins
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If you give me that info I asked for I can suggest next steps.