Brian
Brian, Certified Apple Consultant
Experience:  I've been supporting Mac users and business professionally for 14 years.
34753528

how do I reset name and password XXXXX a iBook G4 Mac OS X?I

how do I reset name and password XXXXX a iBook G4 Mac OS X? I have the IP Address. 169.254.13.122

Brian :

Do you have a Mac OS X restore dvd? It doesn't have to be the same one that shipped with your iBook. If you've upgraded OS X and have a newer restore dvd, you can use that one as well.

JACUSTOMER-yw98b3ei- :

no I don't have a dvd

JACUSTOMER-yw98b3ei- :

so what can I try next?

Brian :

It's possible to reset it without a dvd, but it takes a few steps.

JACUSTOMER-yw98b3ei- :

ok..lets try

Brian :

First, you need to restart the iBook and hold down the Command/Apple key AND the "S". This will boot your Mac into something called "Single User Mode". Your Mac will boot to a black screen with text only. This is normal. When it's done starting up, you'll be left with a text prompt. Let me know when you reach that point and I'll give you the command to type at the prompt.

JACUSTOMER-yw98b3ei- :

It doesn't work ..I held down the apple key to the left of the space bar along with the "s" key and only heard a beeping noise??

Brian :

You may not have been quick enough. As soon as you hear the startup chime, press both keys and hold them down.

JACUSTOMER-yw98b3ei- :

ok I will try

Brian :

The only other reason you would be prevented from booting into single user mode, would be if there is an Open Firmware Password XXXXX That password XXXXX need to be disabled before you can do a single user boot.

JACUSTOMER-yw98b3ei- :

ok I tried..it did do something different in that it did not go right to name and password..but showed the apple symbol with a small rotating circle below and after about 30 seconds came back to the hame and password XXXXX?

JACUSTOMER-yw98b3ei- :

how do I disable the password?

Brian :

If an Open Firmware Password XXXXX been set, there's no way to circumvent it without removing hardware, which would be well beyond the scope of a chat.

JACUSTOMER-yw98b3ei- :

so I might as well put it in the trash?

Brian :

On older model Macs, it's possible to remove a stick of RAM, and reboot while holding Option, Command, P, R together. Let the Mac reboot 3 times (you'll hear the startup chime 3 times). Then release.

Then reboot once more holding down Command, S. Changing the amount of physical memory may bypass the Open Firmware password. That's the only option, I'm afraid. An Open Firmware Password XXXXX XXXXX to be secure. The newer Macs don't allow any kind of bypass, even if you remove some of the RAM.

Brian :

If that's successful, then rebooting with Command, S will put you into the Single User mode I described. Black screen, text only.

JACUSTOMER-yw98b3ei- :

is the command the apple key..does is matter to the left or right of space bar?

Brian :

Yes. Command is the Apple key.

JACUSTOMER-yw98b3ei- :

nope..name and password XXXXX again

Brian :

Try rebooting again and holding down only the Option key.

JACUSTOMER-yw98b3ei- :

ooh I got a paddle lock symbol--------- opne area then right arrow key

Brian :

Ok. The padlock confirms that an Open Firmware Password XXXXX been set.

JACUSTOMER-yw98b3ei- :

what does that mean?\

JACUSTOMER-yw98b3ei- :

I can't do anything or I can proceed?

Brian :

An Open Firmware password XXXXX XXXXX low level password XXXXX prevents the Mac from booting with a recovery CD, prevents single user mode, etc. It prevents booting from any other method, except producing the password. It's not an uncommon or difficult thing to set, but they're designed to not be penetrable.

JACUSTOMER-yw98b3ei- :

so in other words ...give up?

Brian :

To get rid of the padlock screen, you can just shut down.

JACUSTOMER-yw98b3ei- :

ok..then what trash or try something else?

Brian :

The only workaround (that works on some older Macs) is to remove something from the hardware configuration, typically a stick of RAM, and reboot holding down Option, Apple, P, and R and wait for 3 reboot cycles. That may clear the Open Firmware password. You can tell whether or not it has been cleared by rebooting with the Option key.

If the padlock is still there, you're stuck. If the password XXXXX cleared, you'll see an icon for your Hard Drive, with an arrow underneath.

JACUSTOMER-yw98b3ei- :

ok I went through 3 cylces...shut off?? I pressed Option key and nothing happened...shut off and then hit option as soon as I hear chime??

Brian :

Ok. Three cycles. Yes, then reboot again and just hold down Option by itself.

Brian :

Did you remove one of the RAM sticks?