Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment

Hi , I have a Mac running osx 10.6.8. Lately I have been

Hi , I have a Mac running osx 10.6.8.

Lately I have been having some hangups in that I get the round wheel of death. I can only force quit the system and reboot.

This morning I had the same thing. when I force rebooted my entire Email preferences were emptied and all emails have been lost...........

Help pls.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

After your email preferences were empied... Was your email account still present..

or did you have to re add the email account to the mac mail program?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All empty. in fact it asked me to reload my very old email account not the most current one.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm..

Besides your email account, was anything else missing.. Documents, programs, files?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Everything appears to be in order. I have been having some time lag issues ( if i had a PC o would say it is like the CPU maxing out). I do have MacKeeper installed. But that has not done a scan since april (even though it has a weekly schedule). I am running it now.

I have been regularly getting the terminal spinning wheel and have had to force quit the system and reboot.

I have tried to restore from the time machine but nothing.....

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm..

Once mac keeper finishes.. we can try to perform another repair, and restore.

SO let mac keper finish first.. Then run this command.

To open Disk Utility, from the Applications folder, open Utilities, and then double-click the Disk Utility icon.

In the column on the left, click your startup disk.

Click the First Aid tab, and then click Repair Disk Permissions. Disk Utility will reset any files and folders with incorrect settings.

Once ths is complete, we will be ready to try and restore your files.. So send a message when your ready to continue.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks.

This may take some time. Mac keeper says it will take 4 hours to run the scan.

So when I run the first aid. Do I then try a restore from the time machine?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Lets let mac keeper finish.

Then try my step.

Then, restart the mac in safe mode.. and then we can go over the time machine restore together.

I realize this mayt take some time, so if you run out of time today, Im working tommorow as well.

But I should be online for the next 5 hours or so.. Just in case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thks.

Tis Sunday morning here is Australia and I have a full day chasing Kids around for their sports.

So I will have to try and work around times. I will be able to get into the web mail versions of my emails. but it is the some of the received emails that i would like to see if they can be restored.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
I undestand that..

I will keep an eye on my inbox and continue working with you till I sign off. ( and I do work here 7 days a week, so we shouldnt have any issues reconvening)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thnks

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem Guy.

( not trying to spam message you, but its company policy that I send the last reply of each session)

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dustin,

Mac keeper done. no threats

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Excellent.

Lets run the permissions repair next.

Once this is complete.. ( Theres a small progress bar that shows when its complete )

Let me know!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Done

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Excellent..

One more important question.. Was your email account inside the mac setup as a pop account...

Or as an Imap account?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

pop

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Perfect..

Ok, we have two ways we can proceed from here.. Either I can relay the time machine restore steps to you and you follow them on your own, while i assist you via email.

Or, we can set up a screen sharing session so I can connect to you from here, see your screen.. And manually help you restore those files in person..

How would you prefer to proceed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

happy to screen share should be quicker.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Once we get it set up. It will be much quicker!

Ok, to get started click the link below.

http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=ab8a3e69-aab8-4bdb-ac8d-7b150fc57dfb&SUPPORT=JAVAW

Aceept the terms.. Then download and run the elsinore file.

You should see a screen that says connecting or joining..

If you have any issues downlaoding or installing, let me know.. Once you get to the joining screen, please send a reply at that time..

Thanks,

Dustin S.
Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

all set up

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

Please standby, I am connecting now..

D.S