Nick H.
Nick H., Mac Specialist
Experience:  Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro G5.
63271161

I have I Photo, downloaded photos and I can see them but when

I have I Photo, downloaded photos and I can see them but when I click them to open I get a large "I" screen and no photo. Was working find until about an hour ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcomed to JustAnswer.com.

My name isXXXXX will assist you with your issues.

Please turn off your iMac. Turn your iMac back on and hold SHIFT key until the Apple logo comes up. Release SHIFT key and let your iMac boots in.

Run iPhoto and see if you can open them. If working, please reboot your iMac and try again.

If not, please reply so we can continue to work on this issue. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you!

Nick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I contact you after I get out of my Mac if it does not work?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
You are welcomed Ed.

Please save this page to Bookmarks. You can click on the save bookmark/link to get back. Or check your email address for emails from JustAnswer.com.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I rebooted as you said and I thought we had it, but then some of the photos still have the "I" (looks like an exclamation mark) Can open a few but most just respond with the I

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

Some of the photos have the I only? Most photos open fine?

For those photos, please locate them and copy to Desktop. Double click to open. Do they open?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, but most will not open.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ed.

Looks like iPhoto Library is corrupted. We will have to first BACKUP your iPhoto Library. When done, rebuild as follows:

1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select the options you want to use.
  6. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.
  7. When done, try to open your photos. See if they will show the photos instead of I.

Please let me know how this method worked out. Thank you!

Nick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK give me a minute, sorry.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Sure. It might take a while to rebuild the library.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's rebuilding Nick, will take awhile. Will you be there for a few more minutes?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Yes I will be here Ed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I am sick about the pictures as there is a lot of history. I have some on discs but a recent cruise added about 500 and I can;t get them open. I Photo says they have found almost 3000 photos are are importing them, let's hope.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Let's hope so. If this does not work, we will have to create a new Library. Then add your photos back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI NIck, I don;t know if the last email went so I'll try again. Got back about 3000 photos but all the new photos will not open except with the "I" I can see them in thumbnail but when I try to open the I comes up.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ed.

For your original photos, are they on your iMac hard drive? Or are they on external hard drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don;lt know much about computers but I don't have an external drive. Didn;t know the pictures would be on the hard drive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to be such a dunce and take so much time.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ed. Please reboot your iMac and check again.

We can do a File Permission Repair.

Please go to Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility. Once Disk Utility is opened, select your Hard drive on the left. Click FIRST AID and select Repair Permissions. Once done, reboot your iMac. Check to see if photos in iPhoto will show up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK bear with me.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Sure Ed. It will take a long while. Maybe 10-20 minutes. 30+ if you have a 1TB hard drive with a lot of files.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's doing it's thing and as you aid it will take a long time. I really appreciate all that you have done already, you have been great and very patient. I donlt know if you are on EST but if so I'm sorry I'm keeping you up. I'll send a reply when it is repiared and let you know what is happening, thanks.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Sure Ed. I am on PST so it is only 9pm. I will stand by.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So am I so we can stay up together. It is very slow in repairing but maybe it will work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nick, thanks for waiting. No luck, repaired permissions and rebooted. I can see all the photos in thumbnail but when I click them on the I comes up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I stupidly deleted all the photos from my memory card after I downloaded them without a backup. Hard lesson to learn.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I also tried dragging photos to the desktop but they won't go.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

Please go to /Pictures/iPhoto Library/. You will see either Master or Originals. This folder contains the photos or copy of photos.

Quit iPhoto. Move Master or Originals folder to Desktop. Then run iPhoto. It will ask you to import photos. Let iPhoto import from Master or Originals folder. When done, try to open your photos. See if they will open.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried to find pictures/photo library, no luck. Is it on the hard drive?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

Go to Pictures folder. Do you see iPhoto library?
Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

Open Hard drive. Open your name folder. Then go to Pictures. You should see iPhoto Library.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I feel stupid Nick, but there is no file with pictures, or I photo in the hard drive.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

Open iPhoto. RIGHT CLICK or hold Control and click any photo and select Show in Finder. It should open the folder where the photo is located. Do you see other photos in the same folder?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it worked when I said "show file and the pictures that were in each event showed up, and opened up that way.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ed. If you open those photos, do they open properly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes they will open without the "I". Is there some way to rebuild them or transfer them (not tonight) to a new file.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ed. Please go Up 1 level. Do you see Master or Originals folder?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it just has file, info, duplicate etc.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

You can create a new library.

To create a new photo library:

1. Quit iPhoto.

2. Hold down the Option key as you open iPhoto.

3. In the window that appears, click Create New.

4. Type a name and choose a location to store the new photo library.

5. Click Save.

Then import your photos into Library:

Keep the folder where you found your photos. Now you have new library. Drag all your photos to the new Library. They will show up in your new Library.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK Nick.I think I kept you up long enough, sorry, but you have been fantastic. How do I get you next time I have a problem, and it mentioned tips, how do I do that?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

Please rate this Answer so I can get credit. Then you will get to the page to add Tips. Enter the amount as you like.

To request me next time, please go to this URL http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-nickhuynh/ and enter your question. I will get notified and answer your question.

Have a great weekend!

Nick
Nick H., Mac Specialist
Experience: Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro G5.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks a million, you went way beyond the call of duty, nice to meet you, Ed.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
You are welcomed Ed. Nice to work with you as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ji NIck, hope you can get this. I have a problem after I created a new Iphoto site and I can't find all the old pictures. They want me to pay another $58 and I have already done that plus the tip, can you help.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

We will have to do some findings since your photos might not be in one folder. First you will have to switch back to the old Library and locate the old photos folder.

1. Quit iPhoto.

3. Select the library you want to switch to.
  4. Click Choose.
  5. Now in the old Library, RIGHT CLICK or CONTROL + Click one of the old photos missing in the NEW library and select Show in Finder.
  6. Now you will have the folder of those old photos.
  7. Quit iPhoto.
  8. Hold down Option key as you open iPhoto.
  9. Select the NEW library and click Choose.
  10. Now the NEW library opened. Drag your missing photos into the NEW library.
  11. Repeat the process for all missing photos.

Please let me know how it went. Thank you!

Nick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Nick, hope you had a good nights sleep. I'll do as you suggested. When I created the new library I lost ALL my photos and have located some. In order to get rid of the "I" that keeps coming up will that be OK after transfering to a new Library? Sorry to be a pain.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

They should be fine after transferred to the new library. However, you will have to locate them group by group as they might not be in the same original folder.

So locate their folders first. Then switch back to NEW library and drag them into the NEW library. Repeat the process I outlined for all the photos that are not on NEW library.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Nick, I'll send you a response later. Is this site OK.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Yes Ed. For this problem, you can come back to this page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I'll leave you alone for awhile, thanks.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
You are welcomed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nick, you have probably left town by now. Got a few pictures transferred to a new library, and I finally found the pictures I thought I had lost. I don't know how they came up but they are there. The "I" still comes up and I tried to drag them to the desktop and out them in the new library but they only bounce back to the file and will not allow me to drag. Obviously I am doing something wrong, but I am encouraged that I actually found them, now I have to figure out how to get them to the new library and not have an I pop up when I try and open. Any ideas. I dont know what you are doing so when you get this if you can just give me an idea as everything has worked so far. I will say that when I hit control an go to file, no file comes up as it is empty. Thanks for all your help, Ed.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

Did you close/quit iPhoto when you drag them out to Desktop? Many times they are only a cache file means a shortcut to your actual photo file. That is why the I comes up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I close I photo how do I see the photos. I can only bring them up as small photos at the top of a strip, but can see all of them. I try to find a file but can't find one. If I try to open a photo I get the "I" and if I try to drag it it bounces back so I guess the problem might be that I can't find a file. I really appreciate your help and as I said you have gone way beyond anything I expected. Very frustrating.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

If you do not see the actual file when you CONTROL + Click the photo and select Show in Finder in iPhoto, the photo(s) could have been damaged and no longer exist.

You can try this Data Recovery software to see if it will see those photos. CLICK HERE to download and install Virtuallab. Run the software and use Mac Partition recovery. It will take a long time to scan. Then check the photos inside folders, see if those photos can be recovered.

For the photos that are still there, I suggest you back them up to an external drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They have to give you a raise Nick. I'll give it a shot, thanks.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Sure Ed. Let me know how it worked out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nick, I don't expect any answer tonight, just thought I would send you the latest. I bought as you suggested and ran it, I don't really know what I am doing and where to find anything they come up with after the scan. I still cannot get my photos to open, but maybe I scanned wrong. I did the partitions and I am now trying to scan photos. At this rate I can buy another cruise ticket, go the same places I went, take the same photos and probably do it for less and without all the stress. Maybe I am just hopeless. We'll see tomorrow after the next scan, god night and thanks.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

You should only SCAN to see if the program can see your photos. You do not have to buy the program unless you can see the photos.

I am sorry that those cruise photos are not there, could have been because the cache files got corrupted on the hard drive. Please see if it will scan and see them to recover.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Nick, I used the recovery system and I could not believe all the garbage that it picked up. I have tons of photos to go through, I made some new files, and when I have time I will transfer to my new I Photo file. It seems as if I can open the photos and hopefully when I drop them into the new file they will work OK. As you said, it took forever, and I still have to delete all kinds of garbage it picked up. I now have something to do with my spare time. I'll work on it and let you know how I did. I owe you a dinner, thanks for all your help, and I will either win this battle or get a new computer and start over. Thanks again and I'll be in touch.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your update Ed. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to reply back to this page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Eureka !!!! I was able to recover about 4000 photos and then import them to my new file in Iphoto. Thanks a million Nick, it was a battle, but you got me there. Don't know if or when I will have such a problem again but I will contact you if I do (pay of course.) I am 79 years old and did not realize at my age I would be so involved in computers but I really enjoy it. Thanks again, take care and be well, Ed.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Excellent Ed!

I am so glad you recovered your photos. You are very welcomed. Have a great day!

Nick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI Nick, just filled out the survey (you will blush) and one comment was , "Nick was fantastic, went WAY beyond the call of duty, kept sending me answers as we worked through the problem, was right there when I responded and actually worked with me over two days, and the good thing is that I was able to recover about 4000 photos because of him. I will always ask for Nick or go to him for any other problems (realize that I will have to pay for new problems) A real asset to your program." Thanks again, Ed.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Ed,

Thank you for your kind words and taking time to fill out the survey. If you have any other problems in the future whether Mac/PC or Smartphones (Android/iPhones), please feel free to ask me a question at http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-nickhuynh/.

I will close this question for now. Have a great day!

Nick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for following up Nick, I really appreciate. Fortunately I am OK right now but want to buy a new Imac and it has IPhoto11 so I may need help transferring or some other problem I will create on the new computer. I have you on speed dial, Ed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK Nick, I did it again. In my effort to delete thousands of duplicate photos in documents and then emptying the trash, somehow my entire document file was deleted as well. I have no idea how as I never touched it. If I have to pay again OK, but I would really like to recover my deleted document file as it has income tax, letters etc. HELP!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nick, just noticed that the $58 allows 5 questions a month, would that take care of this question as it is different, thanks, Ed.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

Do not worry about that yet. We can try something quick here.

Do you still have the Virtuallab software installed on your Mac?

If yes, open that software and select the Deleted Recover option.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do have it and click on recovery, now where do I go?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

From the Main menu, do you see Undelete? If yes, use that option. It is much faster.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just says "deleted files" which I clicked, and then continued, it says select file but I am not sure what what file as none say documents.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nick, it just has a disk, EFI (fat32) and a disk 3hfs+

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nick, any ideas?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

hfs+ is the one you want to scan for. That is your Mac's hard drive.

If this method does not work, you will have to do a FULL Partition Recovery scan again. Then look for your Tax files.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I'll give it a shot and let you know later. How do I add to your tip?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

You can use the Contact Us link to speak, chat, or email Customer Service. They will help you with that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I will, and thanks. It is running now so I will let you know if we get them back. Any idea why it would delete the document file when I was just deleting photos from the file?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

What do you mean deleting photos from the file? You mean delete photos from the folder?

What file type was your Tax file(s)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The photos were in my document file as they had been transferred into the file somewhere along the way when we were trying to fix the IPhoto. You may remember I might have imported them and they went into documents. They are still in IPhoto but I was trying to delete them from the document file as they just take up space and are duplicates. My tax records, letters and things like that are also in the document file.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

Those files might be accidentally selected while you were deleting your photos. You should always backup your important files on a Flash drive or USB external drive.

For online FREE storage, you can go to www.dropbox.com and sign up for a FREE 5GB cloud storage. Upload your files here if needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK Nick thanks, now go watch the Open and I'll let you know if I was successful when it finishes, thanks.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Sure Ed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nick, I recovered all the files (I think it is every file I ever had) It does not list the files by name so I have to open every file to see what it is and if I want to keep it. There must be an easier way. If not it will give me something to do for the next year. I am trying to leave a tip but not having any luck getting the chat guy. I'll do it, so thank you unless you can tell me how to identify each file the easy way, Ed.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

As far as naming, unfortunately, you will need to open each file and rename them. So recover them first. Rename each. Back them up.

Let me contact Customer Service so they will contact you regarding the tip.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Nick, for some reason this one opened up so I don't know how the block was removed, thank you. By the way I started to open each file, name it, new folders, and it will allow me to clean up my computer. Unfortunately I have years of consulting work on the computer and two years of Grand Jury stuff, but it is my own fault, and besides I can now detele files one by one if not needed, probably by Christmas, thanks, Ed.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

The problem with this recovery software is that it will only give part of the name. Most of the other characters belong to the computer naming system. They are like a code for each name referring to.

I am sorry about the process. However, best that you should save them first into a folder in My Documents or Desktop. Then rename on your own time. If there is a way to do this faster, I would have told you already.

Nick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks NIck, really appreciate your help and now I have something to do in my old age, Ed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI Nick, Happy Father's Day, I contacted the office and they have to have someone call me tomorrow so I can leave another tip. They sure make it hard for you guys to get extra money. I'll let you know when they have contacted me, thanks, Ed.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Happy Father's Day Ed!

Thanks for that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi NIck, I am still trying to figure out how to leave a tip. They don't seem to understand that all I want to do is leave a tip. They sent an email and said to rate you again, but then that says that they will charge me again, and that's not what I want all I want to do is leave another tip. By the way I lost all that had been recovered and then tried to run the program again, had to do it twice, but still no documents. I then rebooted the computer and they all came back so now I am saving etc. I did find a CD that I had backed up a lot of documents on and that saved me a lot of work. Let me know how I can add to the tip. Don't you just love computers when they work?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

Thanks for your update. Saving your files to CD/DVD or external drive are critial. Glad you got your files back.

Regarding the tip, I just sent an email to Expert Support. Let's see what they say.

Nick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They blocked me again, I guess they thought we were going together. I'm trying from an older email. I should have all the documents saved by 2016, thanks, Ed.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ed. Still waiting for support on my end. I will let you know the status.
Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

They told me that you can only tip AFTER accept an answer.

Do not have to worry about it. If you need more help, please ask me a new question. I will be happy to assist you.

Nick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Nick, I would mail it to you if you like, but I don't know where. I just feel bad that I can't give you something extra for all your hard work. I feel at almost 80 I am getting a tutoring on my computer. I appreciate the offer. Somewhere along the way you told me how I could contact you if need be, but I don't recall if I can go to Just Answer and ask for you or not, thanks, Ed.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Ed,

For future assistance, please go to www.NickExpert.com. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Nick, I will, Ed.