Nick H.
Nick H., Mac Specialist
Experience:  Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro G5.
63271161

I closed iTunes reopened it and started a search and it freezes.

I closed iTunes reopened it and started a search and it freezes. I was doing a search on the word "are" and it freezes for about 10 sec, then should down
Hi and welcomed to JustAnswer.com.

My name isXXXXX will assist you with your issues.

Do you use iTunes on Mac OS X or PC computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm use a PC with windows 7

Thanks for your reply.

Please try to repair iTunes. Go to Control Panel and select Programs and Features. Select iTunes on the list and click Change / Repair. When done, reboot your computer. Try to run iTunes and do searches. See if it will work or still have the same issue.

If still the same, please do the following method:

Close your iTunes.

Start --> Programs --> Accessories (Right Click on Command Prompt) --> Run as Administrator

then type in:

netsh winsock reset

Press Enter. Click “cancel” do not restart yet. Open Itunes and see if it works.

If it works, do what you want to do and restart later.

Please let me know if this answer will work out. If does not work or you have any questions/concerns, do not rate yet! Click on Reply to Expert to reply so we can continue to work on this issue. Thank you!

Nick

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had to leave for a minute. Ok, I tried the first one and it seemed to work, I closed iTunes and left. I came back I had the same problem. I tried the next one and I still have the same problem. Should I reinstall iTunes?

Thanks for your update.

That means your iTunes is corrupted. Please reinstall iTunes. CLICK HERE to download and install iTunes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I save any files before I reinstall?

Please save any opening files. Close iTunes. Download and update/install iTunes. Test iTunes after installed. Then reboot again and test to see if iTunes still works properly.

Thank you!

Nick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it wanted to know if I wanted to uninstall or install/fix. I said install/fix. That did not work. Should I uninstall? and if I do, what happens to the .I something file Jason told me about. The reason I don't have the information for my songs?

Thanks for your update.

Please select Uninstall option. This will uninstall iTunes only. Your info and songs should be fine. When done with uninstall, reboot your computer. Then run the installation again and this will install iTunes again.

If that does not work, we will have to manually uninstall iTunes and its components as follows:

Use the Control Panel to uninstall iTunes and related software components in the following order and then restart your computer:

1. iTunes
  2. QuickTime
  3. Apple Software Update
  4. Apple Mobile Device Support
  5. Bonjour
  6. Apple Application Support (iTunes 9 or later)

Important: Uninstalling these components in a different order, or only uninstalling some of these components may have unintended affects.

In most cases removing iTunes and its related components from the Control Panel will remove all supporting files belonging to those programs. In some rare cases those though, files may be left behind. After following the previous steps, you should confirm that the following files and folders have been removed. If any are left behind, remove them now:

• C:\Program Files\Bonjour
  • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\
  • C:\Program Files\iTunes\
  • C:\Program Files\iPod\ Note: Follow the additional steps at the end of this article if you receive the alert "Cannot delete iPodService.exe: It is being used by another person or program" when trying to delete this folder.
  • C:\Program Files\QuickTime\
  • C:\Windows\System32\QuickTime
  • C:\Windows\System32\QuickTimeVR

If you have a 64-bit version of Windows, you will need to confirm that the following folders have been removed as well:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\iPod\ Note: Follow the additional steps at the end of this article if you receive the alert "Cannot delete iPodService.exe: It is being used by another person or program" when trying to delete this folder.
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\
  • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\QuickTime
  • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\QuickTimeVR

After this reboot your phone and install iTunes again. Test iTunes to see if it will work or not.

Thank you!

Nick

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

uninstalling, reboot, re-install did not work, same problem, i'm going to use the control panel now

Thanks.

Manually uninstall is the BEST method for iTunes. If still not working, I can remote into your computer and assist you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

didn't work. I try to search and iTunes freezes

Thanks.

Do you have any problems with other programs?

Do you search the iTunes store? And when did this first occur?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I opened iTunes, went to the store clicked a few thing including my wish list everything seems to work ok. I went back to my music and started a few songs, they seem to work. I tried to do a search, I put in "ar" the songs title is "are you there", I put in the ar and it freezes. Jason got on my box earlier today, got my music back, I tested a few songs and was ok with what he did, closed iTunes, when I reopened iTunes, did a search and it worked, then tried to search "ar" and it started freezing

Thanks so much. Did Jason rebuild the Library and imported your songs back?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think he did both but I'm not sure because he was working so fast.

This could be either some songs corrupted or the library corrupted. Please try to play Are you there and other ar songs. See if they will play ok.

Also, try to search for "you" or "john", does iTunes freeze as well?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I searched on john, you and the, it seemed to work fine, I put in "ar" and it froze and itunes stopped working

Thanks for your update. Could be a problem with those songs. When iTunes search for them, it does not seem to read to display them.

Please do a disk check. Go to My Computer. Right click on C drive and select Properties. Go to Tools and click Check Now button. Then check 2 boxes to repair. Then click Check. It will ask to check for next restart. Select Yes. Restart your computer. Before going to Login screen, Windows will do a disk check.

When all done, please try to search for ar again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, but this will have to be done tomorrow, I tired and i'm going to bed

Sure. It will take quite a while. So take your time. Hope to hear back from you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I ran the disk check. I opened iTunes and did a search using the letters "ar" and iTunes still freezes

Thanks for your update.

If you try to play those songs with ar, do they play normally?

This problem could be with the Library or the songs themselves. Not iTunes program.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know. The reason we noticed this is because after Jason did what he did, I was looking for a song titled "are you there" When I put in the 'r' iTunes freezes so my question is, are you saying that any song the has a title with the letters 'ar' in it I can't search for?

Not that they can't be searched. I think they might be corrupted. Can you play the songs without any problems of freezing or skipping?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What I'm doing now is using the shift+right key to go down each song to see if if stops or gives me an error on any. I have 12,000+ songs. Is this the best way to do this???

You can test those with at songs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what is that?? at songs

On the lists of your songs, look for the ones that has ar such as " are you there". See if they will play. We need to find out which songs are corrupted.